A Mail.app rule fix for image spam

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Aug 1, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Apple Software
    Link: A Mail.app rule fix for image spam
    Description:: MacInTouch reader Bill Benson posted a rule in the .Mac section of that site yesterday which will catch much of the current plague of image spam. He noticed that the image spam emails always have two distinguishing mark. So a rule that matches both those conditions like the one below will snag them before they hit your inbox:

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Good find, although I currently don't have the same problem in Mail.app with .mac as I do with gmail's webmail access. I wonder if I can use the same rule with gmail....

3. Lau

Good stuff. I get a few of these, so I've set the rules and I'll see if it works. :)

4. macrumors 65816

Thanks, I've set that up.

These graphic emails seem to never have "real text" in them... so I've added the rule "and Message Content does not contain 'Greg'".

I figure that if someone does email me with a similar attachment, they're likely to write "Hi Greg" somewhere in the message.

Anyone think that won't work? (I'll find out in time)

5. macrumors 68020

srobert

Bummer. 10.4 only?

Will not work on my 10.3 station at work.

6. macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I've never really had a problem with this. My current rules filter 99.9 percent of all the crap I get.

7. macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

I added it and there were a couple of false positives...so you may want to keep an eye on your junk folder just in case.

8. macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Not a big problem?!

[sarcasm: no]

I have to admit that I am sooo happy to hear that not everyone is suffering under the bombardment of image spam that I am!

What's the worst about it (for me) is that much of it is "ads" for investments! Stinky penny stocks with none of the information required by the SEC regarding investment ads.

I wonder if securities regulators have this on their radar screen....

Anyway -- it's good news to me. I'm not a misery-loves-company type, I guess. :)

[/sarcasm: no]