A man and his Starcraft.

Discussion in 'Games' started by .Andy, Nov 25, 2005.

1. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Today I purchased Starcraft. I know what you're all thinking - .Andy it's the end of 2005 for crying out loud. Well yes it is and I'm all of a sudden living in 1998 and the weather is fantastic! Out of the blue this morning I slapped down $AU17.95 at JB HiFi, walked out (sans a placcy bag being an enviro friendly dude) and rushed home in the rain.

I've never got into strategy games before, a brief dabble with civilisation was enough to drive me screaming into the action-packed arms of my love of platformers and FPS'ers. And that's where I'd stayed. Safe and sound in my own familiarity, frequently passing mocking judgement at the near perfect 10 scores for every Blizzard release. "how can people play that slow old rubbish" I'd think and marvel at my own cleverness for seeing RTS games for what they were.

But occasionally they'd get to me. I'd be looking for games with high ratings and Starcraft was always there. There was the cult following. The in-jokes I was missing out on. A whole side of nerdom that I wasn't a part of. It had dug under my skin and pierced my subconcious. All of a sudden, even though I was standing there looking at the rack of Nintendo DS games, Starcraft was all I wanted. As soon as I picked it up I felt a nod of approval around me as my peers looked on happily. Their eyes were whispering You're doing the right thing brother, be strong, you won't regret it. But I was apprehensive. It'd probably suck and be a waste of cash - everyone's probably just on a self-deluded band-wagon.

Well I haven't regretted it. It installed in OSX like a flash and I found myself playing in no time. Although the graphics aren't the squillion polygon efforts of today, there is something extremely comforting about the familiar renderings that takes me back to my school day gaming. And the voices! Oh the voices! The fantastic over-acted synth-like voices are music to my ears.

So it's the end of day one, 12:50am. I'm tired. I'm hungry. I need a shower. I was meant to buy some new shirts for work and pay some bills. I said I'd ring my girlfriend and go out with her tonight but I didn't. The cat has given up and gone elsewhere for dinner. I know I'll be able to look back in 20 years and see where my life officially derailed.

But I've made it through about half a dozen levels. Blood and sweat stained exciting levels. I'd really like to nut out more but my body has failed me. If only I was sixteen again. Tomorrow it's in trouble though - I'm formulating strategies while I type. I'm going to get those zerg suckers that killed me tonight.

So my weekend's just planned itself and heaven help anyone who gets in my way. If I can tear myself away for 15 minutes the Brood Wars expansion pack will be mine. Although I don't want to give the enemy a head start mining those vespene gases.....

2. Dustintendo macrumors member

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You might like the Warcrafts and the Command & Conquers as well, if you like SC.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

5. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

6. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I'll never forget the first time I played Starcraft. I was a total gaming noob, and my friends suckered me into a LAN game. I had no idea what the game was all about -- I just had some machines and a capacity to build. I thought I was playing Sim City. So, I started to build this marvelous civilization, rooted in education and industry -- it was going to be greater than Greece, greater than America.

Then these worm like vermin came and spat. And spat. I turned to my friend and asked him what was going on, and he told me to use "my marines." Needless to say, I died almost immediately.

From there I was hooked. Starcraft was (is) great.

7. iRhyknow macrumors member

iRhyknow

I really was addicted, no really.:)

8. Aarow macrumors 6502a

No!!! This makes me want to buy a game that makes me use my brain. I want to stick to my nice FPS's (and Katamari Damacy). Although I do like Age Of Empires II.

9. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Starcraft is truly one of the greatest games ever made, but I haven't played it much since the "perfect game" two years ago, a 5 person free for all in which my friend and I fought to a stalemate after an hour and a half of constant battle in the middle of the map. I had so many hydralisks at one point that nearly a full group of his ultralisks failed to kill a hydralisk. He countered hydralisks with guardians, i countered them with devourers, he tried using zerglings/defilers on my hydras, and I used lurkers to counter the zerglings. His ultralisks were met with a pack of my queens, and my hydralisks (I'd gone through literally hundreds at this point) finally were wiped out when his scourge managed to take down their devourer cover at the very moment I destroyed his home base with a massive zergling strike. We were both totally bankrupt and nearly out of units......

and the camper with two carrier groups killed us both.

10. Megatron macrumors regular

Diablo II took away a whole summer. Had me a level 80+ barbarian though with some serious runeword encrusted elite armor and a wicked elite 2 handed sword. :D