A Man Died While I was Filming

Discussion in 'Community' started by Macmaniac, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

This is rather upsetting, me and my classmates were filming a basketball game at our High School for States, then all of a sudden a man collapses on the side of the court. I did not realize it at the time because I was behind the editing equipment, but the whole gym went silent. Despite several attempts using an AED the man did not come to. By the time the paramedics got there it seemed very clear that he had passed on. Its very sad he was the father of one our best players, I packed up our AV equipment, but I have not had a chance to look at the tape of the game, which I'm not sure whether or not has the man collapsing..........
    The game was stopped and everyone went home, I guess I will find out tomorrow.
    Its very disturbing to me that we may have filmed a man who died :( :( :( :(

2. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

:eek: Our thoughts certainly go out to that gentelman's family. It's always sad when that sort of event occurs.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Don't blame yourself Macmaniac. It is not your fault, you just were doing your job. I cannot even imagine what you must be going through. Be sure that you take care of yourself. It is best that you talk with someone also.

I pray that he may rest in peace. May his family and friends be comforted. Hopefully everyone will be able to get counselling.

4. rjrufo macrumors regular

Macmaniac, it's always disturbing when someone collapses in public like that, and like wdlove said, it isn't your fault. Even if you are trained in emergency medicine, sometimes there isn't anything you can do but pray.

I am a former paramedic, and have seen way too many instances like the one you described. I was trained in ACLS, PHTLS, (and several other medical acronyms) to try to save a life, but that rarely happens. In fact, in my 12 year career as a paramedic, I only resuscitated one person who suffered a sudden heart attack.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is this: don't let this incident get to you. You couldn't have done any more than what you did to save him.

If you did get the collapse on tape, maybe the best thing to do is edit that part out so that others don't have to witness what you did.

My prayers go out to the family.

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I actually watched a man die once when I used to work retail, about 8 years ago. This guy was sitting on a bench in the mall where I worked, and it looked like he was sleeping. A woman figure out that he wasn't, screamed, and called the paramedics. I won't get into the details, but I did witness his last breath.

6. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

wow that is really sad stuff, I'm glad nothing like this has ever happened to me and well knock on wood it ever does :(

7. neut macrumors 68000

neut

it's weird that we don't see more of this. how many people die everyday? yet we still can't grasp death... even when it occurs right in front of us.

if he is on tape... you might inform the police dept. or someone; they might use it to rule out anything and help declare a cause of death. tell someone at least. it would be kinda weird if you just erased it.

at least he died watching something he loves.

peace.

8. Macmaniac thread starter macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Well there were police their at the game so my tape is pretty useless to them. Anyway I was on a wide shot of the game when it happened, all you could see was people running around him. After I saw it I turned our equipment off, I still could not believe what I was seeing. Its very unfortunate that even with a doctor, police, an AED, and 2 EMTs in the crowd could not save him. They worked their hardest, but whatever he had was very serious.

9. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Sometimes, there's just absolutely nothing you can do. Guy could have been dead the instant he hit the ground.

Very sad. Death is scary.

10. neut macrumors 68000

neut

why? because it is unknown? some people would call it an adventure... life is what you make of it; so is death.

i view death as just another begining... not and end. how could this ever end?

that guy probably saw more in the few minutes he had in death than he saw his whole lifetime. a beautiful experience. we should not fear it; nor chase it.

peace.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree neut. If we live a good life here on Earth, by that I mean my faith, there is nothing to fear by death. I look forward to that beautiful experience. To leave in peace.