a mandate of ambivalence.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Nov 22, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

From NYT:
    Mandate indeed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/22/p...&en=34ccb5e9d2fe1ba2&ei=5094&partner=homepage

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

this idea of hollywood reducing the country's moral values intrigues me. isn't hollywood simply making what people want?

those upset by it are free to make their own movies and tv shows, write their own books, etc. And many do. and many sell. i guess it's having the ability to shut down others' preferences that they're actually missing...

3. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

As I noted in another recent thread, what is more intriguing is who is to blame for Hollywood/Media poor taste/excess? It is actually Conservatives and/or their backers.

While it is true that many Actors are Liberal and Vocal, they merely star in these vehicles, not create them. This distinction seems to have been lost for obvious reasons. This is analgous to the (erroneous) popular perception that a Network Anchor's political leaning is indicative of the position of the Network itself.

As for giving people what they want, I am not convinced. It seems more like producers of given material marketing what they want in such a way that makes it seem like the public wanted it all along, thereby diffusing accountability.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think an interesting study would be to compare what people say they believe and how they actually behave, in terms of their consumption of entertainment and their professed values. I'd be willing to bet the correlation is weak at best. I'm no fan of the movie, music or TV industries, but blaming them for moral corruption in the society at large is a form of externalization, IMO. It's a fact of human nature that we want to blame others for our own shortcomings, and expect others to change their ways before we change ours.

As for the Bush "mandate," it was never more than smoke and mirrors anyway. Nothing in this survey surprises me.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Therein lies the rub. I recently read, sorry, no link, that the viewing habits of the most liberal vs the most conservative tv markets of the country are virtually the same. I'd bet you a few bucks that if Hollywood turned all fundamentalist Christian and put women in concealing skirts in the kitchen and men only in their garages or offices and cut out all the sex and violence, Hollywood would disappear within a year.

I think we need to rename the far right and call them fundamentally hypocritical what with their closet tv viewing habits and divorce rates higher than the most liberal areas of the country.

One thing that still astounds me about this country is its fascination with the tv. I do rent movies but haven't watched tv with any regularity for about 10 years. Whenever I'm around one I inevitably sit around like a zombie with my mouth open endlessly clicking through the channels hoping beyond hope to find something worth watching. Anyway, if it's really that bad, why don't they just turn the stupid thing off and find something more "christian" to do?

What I would like to see is a study rating the obesity levels of the right vs the left. :D

6. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

The real issues that current conservative voters care about are rarely spoken of, they have become really good at disguising their agenda over the past couple of decades. I am not going to get into it too deeply without some articles to support my position. But let's just say that there is a reason why the GOP goes out of its way to use minorities in prominent roles. In reality though, anyone can follow an order.

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm glad you brought this up.

Many people complain, loudly and in no uncertain terms, that actors and musicians and such should just shut up and keep their political opinions to themselves, that they don't want to hear what they have to say and that they should stick to acting/singing/performing whatever.

I've yet to hear anyone say that the conservative, pro-Bush Nashville musicians should do likewise. And they're just as, if not more, vocal than any other group.

Hypocrisy at its peak.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

While everyone else seems to be focusing in on the paragraphs that deal with the media, allow me to address the post in toto.

The article appears to be a rather broad summary of many of the things we've heard since the election, and no matter which way I read it, I find some very troubling things. Some parts suggest that what we fear is true: the U.S. is becoming some kind of de facto theocracy where "moral values" matter more than common sense; where people will actually vote against their own interests because their religious convictions tell them to. Other parts make it appear that the electorate doesn't know what the hell it wants, voting for candidates that are against the ideas that the public professes to be for.

It is a mass of contradictions, and it is to make your head spin. It's hard to read that article and not come to the conclusion that a large segment of the voting public is either ambivalent, confused, gullible, or just outright stupid.

(And if that's "elitism", so be it.)

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Old joke:

Protestants don't recognize the authority of the pope. Jews don't recognize Jesus as the Messiah. Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store on Sunday.

10. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

"Don't think about the Elephant"

Liberal organization(s) need to start working today on building outlets that promote reason, common sense and tolerance. To combat the voracity of the religious fervor that has been stoked by the GOP.

Through Unions, labor organizations, left leaning chruchs and even through making an effort to take back college campuses and getting students involved again. It's getting repetitive I know, but just obsessing over what Bush is going to do in the next 4 years isn't going to help.

There have been some excellent blogs and other websites started, I wonder if there is an efficient way to get all of these different sites tied together so that they become known to a wider range of people who can draw accurate information from them. Or receive the same sort of information.

Kinda like how NewsMax and the Limbaugh Letter spam people with easily repeatable propaganda that shows up over and over in every political thread on the internet.