A MHz Question!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by hob, Jan 15, 2004.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I was looking to buy a Power Mac... Hopefully around Dual 450MHz and up... However, does Dual 450MHz mean that it's around 900MHz or something else? I was looking at the specs for GarageBand, and it says it wants a G3 600MHz and up... Would it be able to handle it??

Hob

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

not exactly, the processors still run at 450Mhz, it can just separate tasks to 2 different processors. I would aim a little higher in your search for a new powermac.

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

4. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

I guess an iMac would be a cheaper idea...? Any other ideas as to how i could get a good mac for cheap??

Hob

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Do you need cheap because you don't have the cash to lay down upfront? Or is just because you don't want to spend a lot?
    If it's because you don't have that much money up front (as i didn't), www.cwonline.co.uk do a 6 month intrest free option, worked out perfect for me :)

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I don't want to overlook the obvious, but a 450mhz G4 exceeds the minimum requirements.

7. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

If you're open to all-in-one systems, the eMac is tough to beat pricewise, plus you'll get a monitor in the deal. Also, it would come WITH garageband for free (I think).

EDIT - I'm not sure if it would come with garageband preinstalled or not... can someone clarify this for me?

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

If purchased after this week, it certainly should have GB pre-installed.

9. montecristo macrumors member

Re: A MHz Question!!

Are you buying a used computer?

Any new mac is good enough to handle GarageBand; all new macs are at least a G4 chip.

10. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Not to hijack the thread, but I just checked the Apple website, and under eMac there is no mention of GarageBand; in the info page, and on the store page. What gives?

Attached Files:

11. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i guess it's taking them a bit of time to update all the pages...

but any mac purchased after jan. 6th is eligible for up-to-date program with iLife. so even if it's not installed, you can get iLife for $20.

12. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Steve jobs said it would be preinstalled, at the keynote!! Anyway, thanks for all your comments!!

Hob

13. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

I agree that a new eMac sounds like the right computer for you.

14. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

You can also buy a new g4 powermac, dual 1.25. They aren't that expensive and it would probably do everything you need! Also, if it is tooo expensive, search for a dual 800 or higher. They have a good value for money second hand.

15. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Even the single G4 PowerMac tower is more expensive than an eMac. You do get a better graphics chipset and OS9 boot however.

16. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Calm down! It can't be pre-installed on computers that have already been put in boxes. Any computer that shipped after the 16th would have it pre-installed. Anything else, you'd either get the cd's to install yourself, or pay $20 for the up-to-date.

It was the same with Panther. The only exception being the new iBooks and eMacs that shipped with Panther before Panther was even released.

17. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

They will only update the eMac page only when they can be SURE that all their stock has iLife '04 pre-installed. Until then, they can't as it would be false advertising.

Imagine buying an eMac with the page saying you get GarageBand with it, to find you've got one of the unlucky ones that does not have it preinstalled or included in the box and you require paying $20 to get "up-to-date."

Same thing happened with PowerBooks and Panther last October.