Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I've been using a Logitech V500 mouse since 2005. Beautiful thing it was, the damn thing broke the other day! So now I'm stuck using a Mighty Mouse. It's really good and all but I feel like splashing out on the "perfect" mouse.

Been looking at Logitech VX Revolution's and they seem quite nice.

Basically I'll be using it for the occasional game of Half Life 2, a lot of graphic/audio work and day to day email tasks etc. Suppose I'm after an all-round mouse. Preferably wireless too, bluetooth or RF (not fussed really). Since I splashed out on good rechargable batteries for my V500 and Mighty Mouse :)

Any opinions on mice? Any price too. I can justify spending a lot of money on a mouse.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Suppose I'm after an all-round mouse.

Well, if you really want an all-round mouse, may I suggest the "Puck Mouse"

Just kidding. ;)

I currently use the bluetooth Mighty Mouse, and boy is it nice! I couldn't live without the side buttons and the middle click. But it seems to me like you want something else. As I am sure you know, the VX Revolution from Logitech is the best mouse (aside from mice with diamonds engraved in them) out there. I suggest you give it a try, and see what you think (if you haven't done already.) I would personally love a VX, but I am too happy with my Mighty Mouse, it just works so well! Hope that helps.

lancestraz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2005
RI
I have the Logitech G5 and it's great. Laser tracking, 4 buttons and a scroll wheel (vertical and horizontal).
It is wired but it's kinda nice not having to worry about batteries... It's also weighted. So it doesn't have that cheap, light, corded mouse feel.
There is also a wireless one. (RF)

I've never used it but I have heard good things about the MX Revolution.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Haha I was gonna put a disclaimer about the puck mouse :p
Yea I like the Mighty Mouse, but for whatever reason (weight, too accurate, bluetooth, shape) it's damn impossible to produce pixel art with. Day to day I find it perfect still.

Just did a little research on the MX too, seems very overkill for what I want. Especially when the VX is much cheaper. Is that extra wheel worth £20 for me? hmm.

Are Microsoft still good with mice? I had the first infrared MS mouse all them years back and it worked very well.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Haha I was gonna put a disclaimer about the puck mouse :p
Yea I like the Mighty Mouse, but for whatever reason (weight, too accurate, bluetooth, shape) it's damn impossible to produce pixel art with. Day to day I find it perfect still.

Just did a little research on the MX too, seems very overkill for what I want. Especially when the VX is much cheaper. Is that extra wheel worth £20 for me? hmm.

Are Microsoft still good with mice? I had the first infrared MS mouse all them years back and it worked very well.

Yeah if the MM doesn't work for you with what you do, avoid it at all costs. I agree as well that the MX is overkill, the second wheel looks cool and all, but isn't very practical. The VX should be very good, because it takes all of the best features of the MX and puts it in a smaller, cheaper package.

I owned two Microsoft Mice, but they both adh the same problem. They had scrolling issues, so I returned both of them, and got two Logitech LX7s. They are much nicer, and the odd shape actually fits nicely into your hand. But if you want more advanced features, I recomend the VX.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Seriously, the Apple MM's pale in comparison to the Logitech mice, at least the high end ones (G7, MX1000, VX Revolution). Those are sick mice, and totally worth the price. I kinda think the MM is worthless when you can get much better mice.

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
Seriously, the Apple MM's pale in comparison to the Logitech mice, at least the high end ones (G7, MX1000, VX Revolution). Those are sick mice, and totally worth the price. I kinda think the MM is worthless when you can get much better mice.

Totally agree. My MM is a turd. Total poopy turd. It sits in a drawer. I'll finally throw it out when the batteries leak and induce caustic corosion.

I just replaced it with the VX Revolution. VERY NICE.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
i like the Razer Copperhead or Diamondback mice. Granted they are wired gaming mice but still they look great and i read that they are pretty good.

I'll be buying one soon.
I've had tons of mice, but I currently have the Razer Copperhead, and I love it. For gaming, I haven't had a better mouse. Of course, buying it for $80 when it came out was a little steep for me, but pwning teh noobs = priceless :D

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I've had tons of mice, but I currently have the Razer Copperhead, and I love it. For gaming, I haven't had a better mouse. Of course, buying it for $80 when it came out was a little steep for me, but pwning teh noobs = priceless :D

Post of the day!

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
The MM is a good buy once you get used to how it feels in your hand. I went from using logitech mice all the time to using the MM and I love it. If you sweat alot like I do (for no apparent reason!!) the scroll button might seem to "miss" a little, but turning the mouse upside down and rubbing it on ur mousepad seems to fix it. :)
When Logitech feels the need to get their MediaPlay mouse to work with OSX in full compatibility, my MM might then sit somewhere in the drawer.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
The Mighty Mouse has a few traits that I find annoying... but I could not live without the scroll ball.

Does anyone else have scroll balls on their mice (as opposed to scroll wheels)?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
The Mighty Mouse has a few traits that I find annoying... but I could not live without the scroll ball.

Does anyone else have scroll balls on their mice (as opposed to scroll wheels)?

does the mighty mouse have a "freewheel" mode with super fast frictionless scrolling like the mx/vx revolution? :p
i love my mx revolution, because it left clicks when i want a left click, right clicks when i want a right click. i also have easy-to-press buttons for dashboard and exposé (all windows, application windows and desktop).

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
I should point out that my question was genuine, not rhetorical! Re-reading what I wrote, it could be taken the wrong way :)

I would just be interested to know because I haven't seen another with a scroll ball.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Been looking at Logitech VX Revolution's and they seem quite nice.

That's a sweet looking mouse. I much prefer logitech mice over M$ or Apple's mice. They just feel more responsive for me.

I just wish there were more of a selection of advanced mice for left handers.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
That's a sweet looking mouse. I much prefer logitech mice over M$ or Apple's mice. They just feel more responsive for me.

I just wish there were more of a selection of advanced mice for left handers.

Same problem my mates having! He bought an iMac a month after me and just cannot use the MM at all. We were both looking for a new killer mouse last night. He's left handed so it's going to be much harder for him to find a good mouse.

I'm close to picking up the Logitech G7. I can get one for about £50 and when it makes up 1/3 of my computers input I can easily justify that much for a very nice and comfy piece of equipment.

Pre-meditated edit- eBay has one for £40. So close to pressing Buy Now :eek:

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
After watching 2 episodes of Peep Show (series 2) I thought it would be best to get a Microsoft Habu. Sounds right good, only bad thing I hear is the price. at £45 with shipping it's definitely the cheapest of high end mice.

7 buttons. 2000dpi (and some other changing stuff too, sounded like Mhz but wasn't). Nifty blue glow will match my external HDD caddy. Supposedly the lowest latency mouse too. It's built for super hardcore gamers it seems.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
when it makes up 1/3 of my computers input I can easily justify that much for a very nice and comfy piece of equipment.

i think it's very much worth it to pay a little bit extra to find a mouse you love and enjoy. i almost paid full retail for my mx revolution, and i have no regrets about it whatsoever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.