A million dollar idea

Discussion in 'Community' started by djwoolf, Aug 2, 2002.

1. djwoolf macrumors member

ok mac users here is an idea for those of us that think different...
    How many of u have heard of the Eco-Drive that powers some seiko and Citizen watches? Well i was thinking what if you could put that mechanism in a remote keyless entry on a car? think of the implications, no batteries to take up landfill space and you would never have to worry about not getting into your car again b/c of a dead battery unless the Eco-Drive broke. Let me know what u think....

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

you should post a link to the tech specs - never heard of it

D

3. djwoolf thread starter macrumors member

sorry i dont have any specs, but the Eco-Drive i have on my watch stays active as long as i move. im not sure if the kinetic energy is converted to electrical energy or if it is stored on a spring as potential energy. Ill see what i can find on Eco Drive. If anyone knows how it works leave a post id like to know.

4. djwoolf thread starter macrumors member

http://www.protechwatches.com/ecodrworks.htm

this has a break down on how the EcoDrive works. It is a special solar cell.
    What i was really looking for was a way to store kinetic energy as electrical energy. Not a solar cell w/ a battery.

5. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

The ecodrive would be great for a cordless mouse

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

It's a great idea but I don't think the technology has advanced to that degree to justify putting such a complex way of producing energy into an object as insignificant as a car's remote entry system. But cell phones? Pagers? PDAs? Laptops? You bet.

And Shaolin, the cordless mouse is an excellent idea.

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

Damn, Hemingray. Why are you taking words out of my mouth? :p

Let me add to this...

Even if there is such a chip that can store that much energy, there are issues. To name a few...
    (1) How reliable is it to actually obtain and use the energy effeciently?
    (2) Is it durable?
    (3) Can it survive temperature extremes?
    (4) How much do these things cost?

I'm not too sure if any of these issues have been solved, but IF we can get around all these issues and get an industrial strength chip for little cost we will have ourselves a revolution.

8. dynamicd macrumors 6502

As far as pricing goes, my dad has one of those seiko watches and it was about $600 i think. I'm sure if they had one that generated enough energy to power advanced electronics it would be too expensive to produce.

9. Dignan macrumors 6502a

Dignan

I have a 70 dollar swatch that does the same thing. But basically here is the idea.

Mechanical watches always used to be wound up to work, right? Well, someone got the smart idea...Lets put a rotor in a watch, thats heavy on the outside, and uneven in shape, and so then when someone walks around, the rotor will move, and wind up the watch.

Then, recently, someone took the idea and adapted it for batteries. The rotor moves, creating the energy that is used (i think) to charge the battery.

So thats it. Would be useful only for devices that use very small batteries (like the key alarms), not laptops. Laptops would need like, a giant metal frisbee inside of them, and you would have to shake them alot for it to work.

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The kinetic watch battery system would just be like a motor, only the current is created to generate a charge for the batteries when the rotor moves. Its a little more difficult because the rotor moves in different directions, so you have to be able to handle the current alternating irregularly. Not that difficult though, its been done.

The only thing is the that energy requirements for most of the devices people use every dya are much higher than this type of system is cabable of generating. Once superconductivity becomes a viable tech and chips require less power, you'll be able to run your laptop off of a regular 9 volt battery. Don't expect this any time soon.

D

11. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

What, you mean you don't regularly shake your laptop? :confused: :D

I meant more along the lines of the internal battery for date and time. There's certainly no way now that it could be used to power a PowerBook, that's for sure!

Or, just strap your laptop to one of those electronic ponies outside of strip malls, insert a quarter, and there you go. :p

12. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

As a collector of old (and new) watches, I can tell you guys that this idea would make for some interesting eco-products, but will never replace batteries.

Clockworks are VERY complex, and involve many moving parts (stems, mainsprings, escapements, hands, etc). The good movements will work forever with routine maintainence, the poor ones will crap out. That is why an Omega costs 2k and a Swatch costs $70.

Additionally, a rotor or bumper wind would not work in a cordless mouse beacuse of the weight screwing up mouse precsion. However, reintroduction ot the old fashioned roller wheel (as a generator) would suit a mouse perfectly. The downside is that I like my mouse with no mechanical parts, and so do many others. I do use rechargables, so I'm not the world's least eco-friendly person.

For laptops and phones, photoelectrics will do more that kinetic generators. If the surfaces of a phone could be made photo-voltaic, you could generate a little juice anytime the phine was exposed to light...same for laptops.

13. zed macrumors 6502

if we replace the powerbooks screen with that of an Etch A Sketch then the idea would work, i think.

.... wow, a mouse with a crank would be awesome. We could make a retro looking mouse that actually has modern technology, that is powered by a crank. That would be great.

Could make one out of some really heavy metal.... would make a great novelty item :p

14. Dignan macrumors 6502a

Dignan

Nipsy- What watches you have?

Ive got lots of little swatches...A tag heuer and a jaeger lecoultre reverso gran'sport

15. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

It'd be nice if it were able to power an iPod :D

But I don't think that it can produce enough energy... Maybe it can give you an extra hour for every ten hours that you carry it around...

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

this sort of technology will eventually become available for more than watches, it will just take a while.

My speculation - when you get 20 gigs of tunes in your watch to listen to, then you won't have to worry about batteries....

10 years ago a GPS unit was something that came in its own case, now you can get GPS watches - its all matter of time.

D

17. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

Re: A million dollar idea

or you could use the key that came attached to the little ring;)
    but it could work, i like the idea.

18. djwoolf thread starter macrumors member

Hey now, I thoght of using the key, but Saturn, in its infinite wisdom, fixed it so that the alarm activates if you open the car with anything other than the key fob. And to make matters worse, the ignition is also locked out. But i also had another problem with the car battery @ 2:00 am but thats another story good thing i drive a standard so i could push start the thing. I was in the middle of nowhere and my phone was out of the service area. Thats another story though... I cant wait for room temp super-conductors and reasonably priced fuel cells then we wont have any problems with anything. :D Thanks for the posts though folks i just wanted to bounce the idea around with some smarter than average people. I'm surprised i even got a reply on my first thread! :)