a moment of silence...

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Luke9, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Luke9 macrumors newbie

Greetings people ....my 2+ year old pro mouse has bitten the dust (USB cable has shorted out where it meets the mouse) although I am currently awaiting a band of teeny forest elves to help me remake the connections ...the wire I'm left with is almost to small to reconnect ..yada yada yada ...here's my question

can anyone offer any information as to if/when Apple will release a "cordless" pro mouse ....I really don't want to drop another 100 clams (yes I'm from Canada) on a new pro mouse if a cordless version is on the way.

thanks in advance

2. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Sorry to hear that. Maybe it might come out at MWNY. Hopefully bluetooth, also? I'm crossing my fingers for it

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You can get a MacAlly iOptiNet mouse for about $30 (US) depending on where you shop. Since it's optical, you don't have to worry about your mouse getting dirty balls... :p

Seems like all you crazy Canadians pay about 2x what we pay for items down here in the US... makes me glad to be an American :p :D.

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

That and all the hot Canadian chicks come down here anyway. No reason to stay north of the border.

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

hmm...I'll feel lost if/when that ever happens to my Pro Mice...

there's talk of a new mouse...but that's exactly what it is...just talk... ;)

6. Luke9 thread starter macrumors newbie

a moment of silence

thanks for the input peoples .....I won't even touch the American/Canadian thing ...lol lol ...and Eyelikeart ....I can tell ya what I had to do ....."shudder" ...revert to the PUCK! .....my least favorite Apple innovation :D

7. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I love the pro mouse. If they ever get rid of them, I'm gonna buy a box. Like whatever gross they come in. 50? 100? Doesn't matter. I'll buy them. and sell half on ebay.

D4mn those things are awesome. They make me feel so 3L1T3

m

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I gather you didn't get the AppleCare protection on your computer then... Foolish mortal. IF you had it, you could simply call up Apple and get a FREE replacement mouse...

Poor, poor bastard... :p :D

9. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Hm. I didn't know Apple Care covered the mouse too. Makes sense. ah! good thing my ti, 450 and 1gig are alll covered up. :)

But if they discontinue the pro mouse..... then they'll send the new one??? I Hope NOT! I want my pro mouse.

Boxes of them

10. Luke9 thread starter macrumors newbie

MOxie

the mouse had it's own 1 year coverage ....but that does not help me much after 2 1/2 years .....:eek:)

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

What about the computer it is attached to??? What came with it?? Do you have any other towers/Mac systems with the protection and came with a pro mouse?? If you do, then tell Apple it is the one that came with that system... They will send you a replacement and then you can make a xmas ornament out of the old one...

12. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

A pro mouse xmas tree ornament. That rocks. Great idea Alpha

13. Luke9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Moxie

lol ...if the elves don't come ....the christmas ornament idea is a excellent !

but alas my G4 400 AGP came with the PUCK! .....and after 2 days of renewed use my hand is already starting to form into a claw ....lmao

thanks again for the posts people !

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

Wait a minute, can't the puck mouse be used for a ceiling fan decoration?

Oh, wait, someone already thought of that! :D

Then, again, it seems that for some people who have had computer problems some of the time, they have little or no problems w/AppleCare, but get hammered w/o it.

Now, about this guy Murphy... :)

15. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I hear Murphy is a lawmaker. :) I have never had any problems with my Macs.... i alsways get applecare. You may be right on that cobra. :)

16. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Murphy is a sadist in the worst possible way... I like him.. LMAO!!! :D

17. King Cobra macrumors 603

Oh, yeah, he was. I wonder if it held up in reality court? :D

18. King Cobra macrumors 603

Just when I finished my post on his law in reality court, you posted something.

I think we need a few more witnesses to testify! :D

19. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I'll testify.... he's always lurking somewhere. Kinda like Alpha. ;)

20. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Bugger off... :p :D

You know I will testify on Murphy's behalf, just to toss a wrench into your works... :p :D

21. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Come on alpha. You know I respect ya. No need to be like that! Snap!

22. iN8 macrumors regular

That really does rock.

I can see it now, coloured swirls of glittery paint coating the inside and the usb rewired to receive power from christmas tree lights. Shweet! haha:D

23. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Apple mice are useless!

I've had to replace the mouse I got with my beige G3 (bought early '98 as a cheap end of life deal) twice already. They just screw up in some way, loose connections here, worn out microswitch there.

My Atari ST still works fine after 11 years and the original mouse that came with it still works fine too.

Moral of the story, they don't make 'em like they used to!

As for getting a replacement, I'd go for something with 2 buttons and scrollwheel myself, not much more expensive than an apple mouse and it saves you using the keyboard as much.

24. GabrielX macrumors newbie

Re: Apple mice are useless!

While I don't mind two buttons, although it I still have to remember to use it when switch from a Mac to a PC, the scrollwheel has always bothered me.

I don't mind using them, but they screw up my tendonitis bad.

For that reason, I don't really have the fascination for them that some have.

Gabriel

25. Luke9 thread starter macrumors newbie

at the risk of opening the flood gates ....and thanking you for your responses first! The pro mouse CAN NOT be beat ! ... I have the two button scrolly wonder that came with my wacom tablet ...but call me crazy ...I prefer the one button (no button) and command key combo...it just feels more natural ... :D