A Must See pic --- Why you should buy a Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by amac4me, Jul 27, 2005.

1. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

haha, too bad Apple can't use it. It would be great.

That is one true reason to get a mac ;)

2. jonomo macrumors regular

4% market share... only 4% viruses... makes sense...

3. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

More like 4% marketshare...zero viruses.

4. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I just went to a media mart while I was in Europe. They are pretty cool!

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Ignorant comment...

6. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

I'm just counting the days until a nasty virus rips through the mac community. Then where will our argument be?!?! Well, I suppose market-share is so small that we won't have to tell anyone that there was a virus...we'll all collectively agree that it didn't happen.

Deal?

7. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Keep waiting for the day. Windows Vista will be out before then. And thats a long time.

8. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

From Symantec's Website:
    Intelligent Updater:
    Virus Definitions created July 27
    Virus Definitions released July 27
    Norton AntiVirus Corp. Edition:
    Defs Version: 70727h
    Sequence Number: 47044
    Extended Version: 7/27/2005 rev. 8
    Total Viruses Detected: 70337

4% of that would mean we would have to have... um lets see...2813 viruses for OS X.

What would even just 1% be? 703 Viruses...

And you're talking about the day when the first one is released?!??! I'm not saying it can't happen. But the marketshare argument just doesn't work.

9. iPoster macrumors regular

:rolleyes:

Link to article.

10. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

As I read his statement I was thinking the same thing.

11. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Yes, but none of those 40 are for OS X. They are all from the OS 9 days. So, zero viruses.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A sign that says it all and very succinctly. I like the sale price also.

13. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

Yeah, too bad. But I can see why they would hesitate to make such a claim. So, it is up to us, you and I, to spread the word to friends and family! I converted three people this past year. More to go! :)

14. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Alleluhia!

15. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Mmm... $5 off.. :p

Nice sign. It'd be super-awesome if Apple could use it.

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't get it. Why can't Apple use the "Virus-free internet" mantra? :confused:

17. Alone2Gether macrumors regular

just found another virus. :mad:
    cannot wait til I switch over to the Mac. PB update after Apple Expo Please!

18. jonomo macrumors regular

And your comment is moronic.. why don't you give a reason why you think its ignorant...???

listen.. i luv mac.. but i don't think one should be blinded and think that mac is the save all of all computing... the perfect computer with some halo around it...
    if you can tell me a good reason WHY mac is superior against PC in terms of viruses.. plz let me know...

if you're gonna make a virus to cause harm to as many people as possible, you would make it for a computer that the majority of the people in the world use.. maybe you're an eeediot and think computer viruses just evolve or something.. :rolleyes: hehe.. seriously though.. there's really no incentive to make viruses for mac... not enough machines to infect..

I really hope the move to intel will increase the number of mac users.... but i guarantee that once mac hits a certain threshold of users, there will be a influx of mac viruses....

Thats when having a G4 mac will have an advantage... there will be very little incentive too create a mac g4 virus... as it will have a diminishing number of users to infect... virus creators want their viruses to spread and grow... (just to make clear to you.. viruses don't grow on trees).. no point in creating a virus for a computer that no longer exists... Whens the last time you heard of a virus hitting Windows 3.1???

come on dood... come up with a fairly reasonable arguement.. if you can.... :rolleyes:

19. jonomo macrumors regular

Cause once they start using it.. everyone who creates viruses will work to create a Mac breaking virus....

20. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

A good reason? Because Root access is disabled by default on Macs and not on PCs. Thats why you have to type in your password to install software on a Mac and not on a PC. :D I think its a pretty good reason.

BTW... I gave two reasons earlier in the thread why i thought it was a ignorant statement, you obviously didn't read. :D

21. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

LOL I could go on forever with this guy... Viruses are software and don't care if you have a G4 or a G5. But I guess you probably meant a PowerPC Mac as opposed to an Intel Mac.

And what is the "threshold" of users that when we cross it, all these viruses are suddenly going to start flooding in? Mac user have bragged for years that we have no viruses. That's not incentive enough for someone to write one? How about the ability to say, "I was the first to write a virus for OS X and prove all the Mac users wrong." You don't think some hacker would love to say that?

Come on dood.. LOL

22. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Or worse yet, someone manages to create a virus to destroy filesystems and directories on iPods :eek:

23. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

In 3+ years of running OS X, I've had the same number of viruses and general malware problems as my parents have had running Windows machines: zero.

The horrors of malware on Windows PCs are, I'd say, greatly overstated for semi-knowledgable users. Don't open "britney spears nude!!!.exe" off of LimeWire and you're probably in good shape.

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I suppose that could be argued but I don't think it'd create a huge virus-making problem spree. Sure, one of the reasons OSX doesn't have viruses is because of its relatively small market share but another is the fact that it handles processes differently and is inherently more difficult to write viruses for.

...I think. :)