A New imac design!!!!!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TheDance511, Feb 5, 2007.

1. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

I am going to buy a new iMac within the next 2 weeks.... But i heard from different sites and people that the iMac is gonna be completley redone... Will there be a new iMac or is this simply rumor? Does anyone know? thanks...:apple: :apple: :apple:

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Simply rumor. Although, no one really knows. I'd expect some real fanfare from Apple when the next generation iMac is released.

3. rknabe macrumors newbie

I'm in the market too. I might be able to wait a little longer than two weeks though. From what I've read, the new design will be based on the new Intel chipset. The new chipset will be called the Centrino Pro (codename Santa Rosa). It has a smaller motherboard form factor, and lot's of onboard hardware like 80211.n, bluetooth, etc.

Last I heard, Intel is shooting for a release in the second quarter of this year, though there have been rumors of delays. Speculation is a new iMac and MacBook will be built on Santa Rosa. My bet is Q3 or later for Macs to actually be available with Santa Rosa.

I'm hoping for a speed bump, display update, or announcement of Leopard to take the plunge. See the buyers guide tab on this site, you can see they are showing the product getting stale as well.

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Probably, but definately not within next 2 weeks

5. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I'm predicting an iMac redesign sometime in the second half of this year. It's about time, and they usually release a new iMac redesign in the second half of the year. The original iMac was, the slot load iMac was, the G4 wasn't, but the G5 was and the G5 with iSight and beveled back.

I think my parents will buy an iMac when they make another all-new one. I convinced them to stop using their PC and start using my old G3 on Panther. :)

I hope they keep the iMac name and not go with the whole Mac and MacBook lines because that's such a good name. And no, the "i" stands for more than just internet.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Agree.

7. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

two things;

1. If You Need It Now, Buy It Now. If You Can Wait, Wait.

2. your thread title and introductory emoticon makes it look like you know what the next imac design will be. this makes people look at the thread, but after the first line where you ask what it will look like, people tend to look away.

sorry if this comes across unkindly, its not just you, several dozen other threads have similar titles to yours.

There will be a new iMac, and there will be a new iMac design. When, who knows. it will come. And judging by the age of the current design, within the next 6 months isn't a bad bet.

8. kixsand macrumors regular

kixsand

Your thread title got my heart racing a bit...I just ordered a 24" iMac on Sunday! :eek:

3rd quarter 2007 is when I think you'll see a major update -- too far away for me to wait.

Go ahead and take the plunge...I could use the company.

darren

9. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

10. BenHoleton macrumors regular

I have seen pics of new iMacs. Just like the current one, but you get color choices a la iPod Nanos. As always though, if you need one now, buy now. if you can wait, then wait.

11. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Yep. I hate it when people create threads with titles that look like they are going to show something. Not that I actually beleived there was any new iMac info in this thread, but seriously- come on. Unnecessary.

12. shikimo macrumors 6502

Amen...that's the only reason I read it :( .

Slight ettiquete breach aside, it seems REAL likely that the iMac won't be redone until Santa Rosa, cuz that's the only way to couple a real processor upgrade with what will be a huge Apple release. This one's not gonna happen without some serious build-up...and besides, there is plenty of reliable evidence that Santa Rosa won't happen until September at the earliest, unless Intel is leaking misinformation.

Bottom line: All the iMacs, with the possible exception of the low-end 17", are still fantastic buys that you shouldn't hesitate to buy if you have the $$, ££, Euros or whatever.

13. Mr Mac Newbie macrumors member

I was getting worried as i am buying my first 20'' imac in about a months time and for me to buy that then apple to release a new one would upset me alot

Even if they do release a new imac, and i right that they are not like PC's were a new version of anyothing make the previous model completely obsolete?

I mean that if i buy a 20'' imac next month it is till going to be working VERY well in say 3-4 years time?

14. kixsand macrumors regular

kixsand

I think that you will be able to count on 3 years of enjoyable computing as long as you load it up appropriate to your needs. By this I mean that if you're a serious photoshop user or work with a lot of video and you buy an iMac without proper storage, ram and video card capability, you might not make it 3 years.

darren

15. Mr Mac Newbie macrumors member

I see what you mean, thanks :D

I was planning on getting 2GB Ram and maybe the 256mb GPU from the start. 250GB will suite me as i've had my PC for 3 years and only used 70GB :eek:

Not sure if the GPU upgrade will make a difference though

16. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I know it has been hammered to death. But...

Since Santa Rosa is delayed and new iMacs, MacBooks and Minis that rely on that chipset might not arrive till August or later,

wouldn't this be the opportune time to appease the Apple masses, and fill the revenue hole as well, with a mid range Mac Pro Jr.

17. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Did you also see the pics of the MacBook Pro Xeon??:apple:

18. Jman888 macrumors regular

Yes

19. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Didnt they make those PowerBook G5's look so out of date? But really I am thinking about getting a new iMac soon so Im hoping they dont change it too much.

20. Jman888 macrumors regular

It was weird. It was'nt as fast as a Mac Pro but was faster than The mini with Dual 8800GTX's And a Core2 Extreme...

21. Piepz macrumors member

Have you seen any new Mac Minis coming out in few weeks ?
    :apple:

22. Ironduke Suspended

Ironduke

ben if you are telling pork pies, you will die by mine own hand:D

I cant wait:apple:

23. shikimo macrumors 6502

Unless you're going to be doing HAAAARD COOOORRRRE things with your new iMac, rest easy: see to your updates and maintenance and you'll get as much time out of your Mac as you want/need. Lots of people on this and other Mac boards have really old machines that still get the job done. Hell my old eMac would still be here for me if it wasn't for the weight factor...22 kg was a bit much to ship to Europe.

Amen...and it's only been hammered to death because there's still a glaring hole in the lineup where it belongs. That's no reason to stop talking about it :D . I don't, however, think that mini's can wait until Santa Rosa for a bump; something along the lines of C2D's for both models and a gig of RAM on the high-ender, perhaps at the same pricepoints, seem like a likely tide-them-over-for-Santa-Rosa udpate.

Or maybe that's just cuz I want to buy one :cool: .

24. damien341 macrumors member

always rumors, nobody knows. but it's unlikely that a new imac comes within the next few weeks. most of us think april at the earliest.

25. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Uhg. I wish they would make a Mac Pro mini. Or a Mac mini Pro. Or whatever. Just something between the mini and the Pro that isn't an AIO. All I ask is a PCI-X slot for an upgradable GPU, 4 RAM slots, 2x3.5" drive bay, 1x5.25" bay. 2xFW400, 1xFW800, 4xUSB2, .11n, BT2, a single dual core CPU, and one other generic internal expansion slot be it PCI, PCMCIA, those new express cards the MacBook Pros take, anything. And a price tag running from, say, $999 to $1499 depending on the options. And a cool case. Like the Cube. Heck, I'll take 2 RAM slots and 1 3.5" drive bay.