Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lloydh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2007
London, England
I recently broke my Core Duo MBP and most of the people over at the macfixit forums seem to think it's beyond repair (economically speaking at least).

Since breaking it, I've been using a spare 1.5GHz PowerBook G4 with 512MB RAM which has been VERY painful to use!

I'm torn between getting the imminently arriving MBP or packing my PowerBook with 2GB RAM and waiting for a second gen MB Air.

Does anyone know whether 2GB RAM would make my G4 useable for Aperture, Photoshop multi-tasking etc. or whether it's just the slow processor is causing it to beach-ball so much.

I was also hoping someone familiar with Intel's mobile CPU roadmap may be able to advise me of any new architectures / technologies that would influence my decision.

Thanks

dj420118

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
I am pretty sure that Apple requires at least dual G5's in order to use aperture with 2 GB of ram. Something tells me you might have to upgrade now. I only have intel machines so I do not know how it runs on the G processors but i would jump on the MBP.

tuxtpenguin

macrumors regular
May 19, 2007
TX
Not sure about Aperture requirements, but Photoshop should work pretty well if you up the RAM to 2 GB.

latestmonkey

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2002
I'm on a powerbook G4 1.25 that i'm trying to extend the life of. I just recently upgraded from 1 to 1.5GB of ram. 1) it doesn't help that much, although you going from 512 to 2 would definitely help. 2) even at 1.5GB of ram, I'm constantly angry that things take so long. The processor simply isn't fast enough and i'm doing light photoshop work. 3) I've used this pb for a while and I've never had an intel processor mac. I couldn't imagine going FROM a MBP to a PBG4.

The fact that the new ram, although guaranteed to work in my laptop by crucial, has caused 3 crashes in the past 3 days means I'm super angry. I'm praying a new MBP comes out next tuesday so I can return this 1GB stick to crucial and sell my pb on ebay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.