A new MacBook Pro or upgrade my PowerBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by lloydh, Feb 22, 2008.

  1. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2007
    Location:
    London, England
    #1
    I recently broke my Core Duo MBP and most of the people over at the macfixit forums seem to think it's beyond repair (economically speaking at least).

    Since breaking it, I've been using a spare 1.5GHz PowerBook G4 with 512MB RAM which has been VERY painful to use!

    I'm torn between getting the imminently arriving MBP or packing my PowerBook with 2GB RAM and waiting for a second gen MB Air.

    Does anyone know whether 2GB RAM would make my G4 useable for Aperture, Photoshop multi-tasking etc. or whether it's just the slow processor is causing it to beach-ball so much.

    I was also hoping someone familiar with Intel's mobile CPU roadmap may be able to advise me of any new architectures / technologies that would influence my decision.

    Thanks
     
  2. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 17, 2006
    #2
    I am pretty sure that Apple requires at least dual G5's in order to use aperture with 2 GB of ram. Something tells me you might have to upgrade now. I only have intel machines so I do not know how it runs on the G processors but i would jump on the MBP.
     
  3. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    Location:
    TX
    #3
    Not sure about Aperture requirements, but Photoshop should work pretty well if you up the RAM to 2 GB.
     
  4. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2002
    #4
    I'm on a powerbook G4 1.25 that i'm trying to extend the life of. I just recently upgraded from 1 to 1.5GB of ram. 1) it doesn't help that much, although you going from 512 to 2 would definitely help. 2) even at 1.5GB of ram, I'm constantly angry that things take so long. The processor simply isn't fast enough and i'm doing light photoshop work. 3) I've used this pb for a while and I've never had an intel processor mac. I couldn't imagine going FROM a MBP to a PBG4.

    The fact that the new ram, although guaranteed to work in my laptop by crucial, has caused 3 crashes in the past 3 days means I'm super angry. I'm praying a new MBP comes out next tuesday so I can return this 1GB stick to crucial and sell my pb on ebay.
     
  5. Contributor

    AndyK

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2008
    #5
    I'd splash out on a new MBP when they eventually come out.
     
  6. macrumors 65816

    skyrider007

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2007
    Location:
    Bangkok
    #6
    I think it's about time you upgrade to MBP :)
     
  7. macrumors 6502

    chickenninja

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2008
    Location:
    inside my skull
    #7
    buy a refurbished macpro with baseline ramm, and 256 graphics, dont put money into the past unless that ramm for your powerbook is hella cheep
     

Share This Page