A new spin on Mac OS X for Intel

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by wrldwzrd89, Aug 30, 2004.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I think that the day we see two editions of Mac OS X: PowerPC Edition and x86 Edition, is the day the same thing happens to MS Windows.

Therefore, we'll go from 2 major operating systems to 4:

-Before-
    Mac OS X (for PPC)
    Windows (for x86)

-After-
    Mac OS X/PPC
    Mac OS X/x86
    Windows/x86
    Windows/PPC

2. inziga macrumors newbie

3. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Thanks for sharing your wisdom with us :D

Is there a point to this thread? :confused:

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I think we can tell what the demand for such a product would be by the fact that it was available for at least two years and no one seems to have noticed.

6. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hello everyone -

Sorry for the confusion as to the purpose of this thread.

I just think that it would make sense for Windows to go PPC if Mac OS X goes x86. That way, the people clamoring to try Mac OS X on their x86 hardware can do so, and the people who can't stand Mac OS X, but still want to keep their Apple Mac can do so as well. The reason for the simultaneous release (if it happens) is so that neither side (Apple/Microsoft) thinks they're favored.

7. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

This has been discussed to utter DEATH. Porting OS X to (crappy) x86 would undermine Apple's hardware sales and eventually kill the company. Porting windows to PPC? Well, [​IMG] is really all I can say

8. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Windows was already on PowerPC until Windows 2000, and then Microsoft discontinued support for it. Grab a Windows NT 4 CD-ROM and take a look at the supported hardware. You can install it on DEC Alpha, MIPS, PowerPC and x86. One of the most heavily touted features of Windows NT back in the day was its' Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL), and the ease with which this allowed it to be ported to different architectures and machines.

Of course Microsoft lost interest somewhere along the way, but the fact remains that Windows NT already runs on PowerPC.

9. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

:rolleyes: Ok, read my last message as XP for ppc... better?

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What do you know about the market prospects of Win XP on PPC that Microsoft doesn't know?

11. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Uh...nothing :eek:

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Just to clarify for someone else who might read this, this was not a PowerPC used in Apple computers. It has never been possible to install Windows on a Mac without 3rd party hardware/software.

13. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I'd be happy enough to see the Yellow Box product revived and released.

14. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

I think it was aimed at CHRP systems, wasn't it? I don't think Apple ever got around to releasing anything which was CHRP, but IBM did (from memory, could be wrong).

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

16. Mantat macrumors 6502a

I would just like to point out that Apple is already developping a x86 version of OSX and has since the begining. This is not a rumor but a known fact admited by Apple.

This version will probably never be released, it is ment as a "plan B" in case the PPC procs production would stall as in the G4 era. With the G5 availlability, it just confirms that this code will never be released.

My guess is that MS does the same and has a PPC version of window, 'just in case'...

17. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Yes, thankyou :)

Still, there isn't a huge amount of difference between NT 4 and XP under the hood. Remember that the current rumours for the Xbox2 involve a PowerPC processor and a Windows OS. Windows XP for PowerPC really isn't all that ridiculously far fetched in a technical sense.

And not that this is really directed at anyone in particular, but also remember that NeXTSTEP (which Mac OS X is a direct descendent of) was available for multiple platforms, including Intel. Early developer releases of Rhapsody were available for both PPC and x86, and there are persistent stories of 'Marklar', a variant of OS X which is maintained for x86. I'm not saying for one moment that Apple is going to release OS X for x86 (I agree with everyone who says that releasing for x86 would eventually kill Apple), but multi-CPU platform OS support is the actually the norm rather than the exception in the IT world. It's usually for a marketing/financial/resource reason that an OS is not multiplatform, rather than a technical one.

18. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Did not know that. Don't know too much about NeXTSTEP, except the clone window manager WindowMaker which I used to use in/on/under(??) Linux.

19. Zaty macrumors 65816

One important thing to keep in mind: Should Apple ever decide to leave the PPC platform and use x86 cpus instead, this doesn't mean that you can run Windwos on those Macs unless MS writes a Windows version that supports all hardware components (e.g. chipset controllers, which are still designed by Apple).

20. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

NeXTSTEP was available on Motorola 68030/68040 (the hardware that powered the original black magnesium NeXT Cube and later designs), x86, and also Sun SPARC I believe. I'm not to hot on NeXT history, but I think OpenStep evolved from that, and was also available on HP PA-RISC and PowerPC. Someone who knows more about the sordid past of Mr. Jobs might want to 'step' in here and help out...but anyway...the point is that NeXTSTEP and in fact Apple's Rhapsody were both available on x86.

21. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I knew someone would post that both Windows for PPC and Mac OS X for x86 either exist or are rumored to exist...I'm just wondering if both will ever be widely released and marketed. I suppose Microsoft's monopoly position could be a factor in this.

22. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Apple's won't. They are a hardware company first and foremost. That is their source of revenue. If they started selling OSX for the x86 architecture, why buy a Mac when you can build a cheap, crappy, IntelThon? There goes Apple's source of income. I guess they could fall back on OSXx86 if worse came to worse, but I doubt that would keep them afloat.

24. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You're right - with IBM doing what they're doing with the PPC architecture, this issue shouldn't ever come up.