A new switcher in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ThomasWong, May 27, 2004.

1. ThomasWong macrumors newbie

Hi, I just got my first Mac a few days ago. I've been spending some time to use it and love it. I've been planning to buy my first Mac for over 3 years since support in Hong Kong is very limited. I'm just afraid that I'll feel lonely and separate from the mass. Please advise what should I do to make good use of my new honey, thanks!! :)

2. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Hi Thomas, very congratulations :)

Get a nice logitech or some other mouse with lots of buttons (then maybe you'll feel less separated from th pc masses :rolleyes: )

My 6 button mouse have totally improved my whole computing experience!!!

ps. which mac did you get?

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    hong kong has a sizeable mac community; i came across a userboard just for hong kong mac users. congrats on the switch

4. qubex macrumors 6502

qubex

I always go to Hong Kong to buy my Mac hardware. There's a nice store in Star City, on Canton Road, Kowloon Harbour-side. Whenever I go in there is always a booming trade of various locals and foreign gweilo such as myself buying hardware and software, or simply gawking.

5. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

More RAM always helps! You should definitely take a look at all the programs installed like Garage Band, iMovie, iDVD etc...if any friends say something like "why a mac," just show them iDVD, Garage Band, and then MS Office.... all running at the same time... they'll probably not say anything after that...

6. Arael macrumors newbie

Do you have the url?
    I've been trying to gather more info about chinese support in OS X before I place the order for my first Mac :)

7. ThomasWong thread starter macrumors newbie

My first Mac is a 15" Powerbook with 1.33 Ghz G4, 256MB RAM, 60GB HD. The very basic one!

8. ThomasWong thread starter macrumors newbie

What is the situation in Guangzhou? Do you have other friends using Mac?

9. ThomasWong thread starter macrumors newbie

When I told my friends that I would buy a Mac, they felt surprised. They knew less about Mac even they are IT professionals. I think Apple advertisement is very limited in countries outside US, what do you think?

10. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

get at least another 256mb ram to get the full speed out of your system. it will be pretty chocked on just the stock 256. apple says 128 is the min needed but they should say 512 because thats when osx really starts responding well.

11. nyprospect macrumors 6502

Likewise in the US.Id like to see more ads on tv.INtel advertises daily.The mac ads are great But really scarce.Ihavent switched yet.Id like to see some ads for powerbooks instead of ipods.

12. ThomasWong thread starter macrumors newbie

What need to be solved before you will go and buy a Mac? Personally, I think large Apple stores can help telling people what is Mac. I hope Apple will open at least five large Apple stores in Hong Kong. Just like US and Japan (in progress).

13. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Yea, at least they don't give you an angry look like the people here (U.S) somtimes do... apple's advertisement is pretty low here in the US too. Though the stores may make up for it. You don't see many Sony comercials, yet they sell very well because of reputation and style. Apple has style, but reputation takes a lot of time... the iPod may yet change that.

14. ThomasWong thread starter macrumors newbie

In Hong Kong, Sony has many TV ads and Magazine ads. Moreover, there are many reports for new Sony products in computer and trendy magazines. For Apple, quite an opposite.

15. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

In U.S its the opposite in some ways. Apple doesn't get much commercials, but they get lots of press/reports etc. Sony also gets press, but not as much as apple IMO. Here, their commercials are about the same amount... except for Playstation of course... I'm guess H.K is different.

16. Crikey macrumors 6502

I'm an IT professional in the U.S., and lots of other IT professionals here don't know much about Macs and seem to be biased against them. I suspect it's because they have spent so much time learning to keep Windows running, and having to re-learn parts of it every two years when a new version comes out. Thinking about having to learn a whole new system scares them. Especially if they've heard the rumors that you don't need to become a skilled "system administrator" to keep a Mac running -- IT professionals could become obsolete! Scary thought.

My boss was talking to me last night about buying a new notebook for his family at home, and I made the offhanded remark that I might never buy another PC. You should have seen the look on his face!

Crikey

17. ThomasWong thread starter macrumors newbie

In HK, PC to Mac appearance in TV/magazines is more than 999 to 1!

18. ThomasWong thread starter macrumors newbie

So, what is your boss' choice finally?