A new trend? embeding small Linux on top of regular windows OS in laptops

Discussion in 'Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion' started by clevin, Aug 15, 2008.

1. macrumors G3

clevin

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/15/dells-latitude-on-instant-os-detailed-screenshooted/

this is first major company (DELL) I know to implement this splash-top technology,

the benefits being

1. Instant on (not sure how "instant")
    2. much longer battery life for normal operations

2. macrumors regular

3. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So the longer life is because most of the motherboard is off, and it's just running an ARM and a little RAM and a flash drive off a huge notebook battery, right? I somehow doubt it would run for "days" using the HSPA modem... ;)

It's a neat idea (although after having an Eee for almost a year, I start to question why I need the rest of the notebook there in the first place! :D ). That particular Asus motherboard sounds like it's meant for big notebook computers (like the 6.5-8.5 lb variety) -- is that correct?

I am glad, though, to see Splashtop getting this kind of attention.

4. macrumors 65816

Darwin

I like the idea, although it does sound like your bringing in a system much like an iPhone and docking that into a laptop which gives you a bigger screen, more battery power and connectivity.

If Apple were to implement something like this then they already have most of the pieces in place.

5. macrumors G4

I watched the YouTube video embedded on your link. FWIW, it's just a video showing three people, two of whom speak. It does not demonstrate the "technology." Literally nothing to see here. That's 4 minutes I will never get back.

6. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you really want to see Splashtop, there are some halfway decent videos on Youtube... This one is two minutes long and it shows the Asus implementation of splashtop on an Eee.