a new twist.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stevehp, Oct 10, 2006.

1. stevehp macrumors 6502

Hi All,

So I have wanted a 17 inch MBP for months now. I finally have the money, but the more I think about it, I could get the 24inch iMac and the base MacBook for almost the same price! I am a student but also own and operate my own graphic/web design company. Any suggestions?

thanks!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Go for the pair unless you really need the extra portable resolution of the MBP over the MB. The 24" has superior resolution and power, and the MB is a lot lighter and smaller and longer lasting on batteries than the MBP.

3. stevehp thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay. I've done some pricing...This is in Canadian (Educational Discount) before tax:

MacBook Pro, 17-inch, 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo
    = $3,127.00

20 inch iMac (Better Graphics Card) + MacBook 2.0GHZ (80GB) ($1,622)
    = $3,299.00

24 inch iMac
    = $2,543.00

I am actually leaning towards the 24 inch by itself now and waiting until summer 2007 for a MBP or MB. I have a working Dell laptop :)eek:) I can use until then.

Suggestions?

If I decide on the 24incher, should I wait for the MBP C2D announcement or just buy this sucker tomorrow?

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I would say get the 24" imac and whatever else...the extra power is going to come in hand:)

Bless

5. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I think that I would go with the 24" iMac & a MacBook if I were you stevehp. :)

7. stevehp thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Is the 24inch iMac (2.33 with better graphics card) more powerful than the 17 inch MBP? Also, is the RAM and Memory upgradable after purchase?

Thanks!

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yes, to both of your questions (RAM = Memory, but you were probably asking about the HDD, which is also upgradeable). :)

9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

The iMac has better graphics but soon (hopefully) the MacBook Pro will have the same processor.

10. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

My active set-up right now is a PM + MB (in sig.). So far, I've been really pleased with the MB's performance with the Macromedia 8 suite. I maxed out the ram (2GB), which I'm sure helped a lot. Anyway, point is, the MB + iMac combo would be a great idea IMHO. I love being able to take my work on the road with me (the MB is very portable)... the only problem is that the small screen can get annoying if you have a bunch of windows open that you'd prefer to see all at once/side by side. BUT if you have a nice 24' screen to come home to, then the screen size is not a terrible problem. Personally, I don't like working for extended periods on a laptop, mainly because the screen can never be big enough, especially when doing design or looking for that one character of bum code that's causing your page to display strangely. Go for the combo!

I am seriously considering selling my PM and getting a 24' iMac (thus same set up as you are thinking about). I've been impressed with the intel processors and I really never expected to be...

My rambling 2 cents...
    yt

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I would definitely NOT get 2 computers at the same time. That just means that you have 2 outdated machines a few years down the line instead of one. In my opinion, you're much better off buying 1 machine and saving your money to upgrade later on.

12. stevehp thread starter macrumors 6502

hmmm...good point. That's why I was thinking sticking with my Dell laptop until it dies and getting the 24inch iMac. By the time the Dell dies Santa Rosa, etc should be out...