A new use for your iPod photo, Presentations.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by starcrossed, Dec 1, 2004.

1. starcrossed macrumors regular

While looking on MacUpdate, I cme accross this software that states it will turn your PowerPoint and Keynote presentations, into images that can be stored in the iPod photo, so they can be presented with only the iPod and a projector eliminating the need to carry around a computer as well. I know, you won't be able to do all the fancy presentations with an iPod photo, but would imagine that with a simple presentation you would do just fine. Plus if you would buy that iPod wireless remote, you'll be pretty set. Well, I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on this possible new feature for the iPod photo, and if you do own an iPod photo it would be neat if you would try it out on your own, and post your comments on how well, or how bad it works. If it does seem to work well, maybe some of us could have a reason to get their bosses to spring for an iPod photo for presentation use. ;)

http://www.zapptek.com/ipresent-it/

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see this as a new feature in Keynote 2.0. If there was some way to control it I think it would be a very useful feature.

3. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

This is fantastic if it really works reliably. It would be GREAT not to have to drag a laptop to every presentation (though it´s fun to show off my PB), and even better not to have to rely on the local Windoze machine you usually have to use because the IT people at the place you´re presenting have a policy on not letting anyone use his/her own laptop. But not being able to incorporate and use links in the slides is definitely a drawback.

I don´t have a Photo iPod and probably won´t for a long time, but I look forward to hearing how this works.

4. starcrossed thread starter macrumors regular

please someone with an iPod photo, try this out and post your results.

5. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Yeah, with a remote for the ipod, and the real keynote transistions. Man, that would be sweet.

6. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Thats a really good idea, I'm surprised that Apple did not think of this sooner. Keynote 2.0 anyone?

7. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

there were a few macrumors articles along these lines if I remember correctly... and of course there are hints of new features in the 4Gs in general, and soon Tiger & KN2 will be here.

Display to a monitor & show keynotes using the wired ipod controller? of course they've thought of it. The processor wouldn't be enough for videos and probably transitions, but think about how fantastically convenient that would be; I'm sure Apple engineers have...

but the entire ipod photo enterprise is a bit out on a limb.. it's certainly not the core market and won't be for a while, and investing this much R&D into making keynote work? I guess they are keeping their options open (video too, although they deny it), and their competitors guessing.

of course, other than the industrial design and user interface software, the other key to the ipod has been integration with the other pieces... the ITMS and iTunes and actually much of OS X apps like the address book and of course iPhoto.. If they do go down the keynote route, that's two apps (iphoto and keynote) that will be osX-only, with no equivalent for windows. Inch by inch, they're getting drawn to putting our more productivity software for XP, and who knows, maybe OS X for intel isn't a wild pipe dream after all.

8. starcrossed thread starter macrumors regular

Coming to think about this maybe a nice selling point for the education market. State that with an iPod photo a teacher can showcase simple presentations and easily share the iPod photo and presentations with other teachers in a school, where buying computers for every classroom isn't possible.