a new wave of school shooting

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by clevin, Sep 29, 2006.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This is one of my constant little worries about my wife's job...

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Three guns have been seized in Connecticut high schools this week, each in a different district. One from a locker, one after a kid took it out in the lunch room, and one from a kid who had been brandishing it on the bus.

It's an unfortunate reality that students no longer have the guarantee of a safe, academic space. It used to be that, for many kids, school was the only place they could be safe. I don't think we're going to get those days back.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Just last week there was an incident where a kid brought a gun to my wife's school.

5. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I was talking to a man a couple days ago. He's probably around 50. He was telling me when he was in school they would bring guns into the school for show and tell. They didn't think about using them. These parents need to do a little better job with discipline.

6. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

not funny.

I wonder why more kids don't go and shoot the catholic priests who molested them.

now that would get more attention on that scandal

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

mac, crossed fingers for her.

I had my first .22 rifle that was all my own, keeping it in the closet in my room, when I was eleven years old. That was my best Christmas gift of 1945. A tube-magazine bolt-action Marlin.

I was the skinny four-eyed kid who made all-A grades. Walking target for the bully crowd. I had a fair share of fights at school or after school, but it never occurred to me to ever shoot somebody.

Seems like it has more to do with what parents inculcate into their kids about right and wrong; not sure if "discipline" is the right word. For sure, "self-discipline." :)

'Rat

8. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I want to get one of these dont want to shoot anything alive but I really like shooting targets it's relaxing in a way u need to stay stock still and control ur breathing.

ne way on topic shooting people=bad why is it happening? hard to say

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"...why is it happening? hard to say"

There are as many reasons as there have been books written on the subject of senseless violence. Certainly, more than I want to get into in some posts on the Internet.

As far as shooting: Always remember there is a two-tenths of a second time lag between the time your brain tells your trigger finger, "Press!" and the finger actually moves. If you learn to send the signal two-tenths of a second before the sights are in perfect alignment, your hits are closer together on the target. The other trick, aside from breath control, is that used by Olympic shooters: Shoot between heartbeats. Each time your heart beats, you jiggle.

'Rat

10. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Maybe one day they'll learn to start listening to these kids who are troubled for whatever reasons and need love, support and understanding.

But I'm sure they'll continue to blame shootings on other things like music and video games and now i bet myspace will be involved somehow as they like to blame everything on myspace these days. ;)

I know what it was like to be abused in school, the mental scars of those years in school never went away 30 years later. I can understand why shootings happen. I've been in that frame of mind.

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Foxglove9, we might have different ideas about "abuse", but for today's use of the word, I was damned sure abused. I guess I was lucky, though. Early on I found Satchell Paige's advice to be among the very best: "Don't look back. Somebody might be gaining."

I went on down the road, just growing up and hoping to get bigger and smarter. Looking back on those bad years is merely of academic interest, outside of things like this sort of Internet thread or idle conversation.

I'm purely guessing, but maybe my love of the outdoors and enjoyment of my own company stemmed from those "picked on" years. But, Lordy, Lordy, have I ever had a bunch of fun in Big Country. Makes for a lot of good eating, too. Turned me into a natural food freak; no growth hormones in quail and deer. :D

'Rat

12. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Hi Foxglove.

So, I like you a lot. I enjoy your contribution to these boards. But this sentence really gets under my skin.

Who are "they," and do you really believe schools aren't listening?

Consider how many kids go off their meds every day. Consider how many kids need meds and how many kids are actaully on meds. Consider how many kids are angry to the point of snapping -- consider how many kids are dealing with personal loss and/or strife on a day to day basis. The quantity of each might surprise you.

I've taught in wonderful districts and terrible districts, but in each there have been a fleet of teachers, administrators and staff who have provided love, support and understanding. I've never seen a school without a team of vigilant teachers/administrators/staff who are ready to take a troubled kid -- or 10 -- under their wing(s) and into their homes.

But you know what? Our vigilance can only extend so far. We can't see everything and we can't notice everything. And, unfortunately, sometimes it's our support that can send a kid over the edge.

Let's not pretend that the one kid out of tens of thousands of kids who doesn't get the necessary support -- or who acts out despite receiving the necessary support -- indicts a "they" who allegedly hasn't learned how to love, support and understand.

If you want to argue that schools should be hiring more school psychologists and guidance counselors, I'm with you. If you want to argue that class size and load should be reduced for teachers so that we can focus more on kids and less on subject matter, I'm with you. If you want to argue that there should be a more well defined -- if not state level mandated -- relationship between parents and schools and schools and communities, I still might be with you.

But I can't swallow the generalization that "they" (which I read as "we") are not only not listening, but haven't even begun to learn to listen.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well she's safe for the time being.... off work until the kid is born, and then for a couple months after that as well. :)

But at some point she will go back, and it's always in the back of my mind. She the type of person who woudn't let a kid with a gun keep her from grabbing him by the scruff and dragging him off to the office, and while I admire that about her it worries me as well...

14. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

First I appreciate you liking my contributions to the forums. :)

Yeah I apologize if I was generalizing a bit out of my own bitterness and frustration for what I went through on a personal level in school. I had access to my dad's gun, and as much as I thought about killing so many of my classmates and myself some days, I never acted upon my feelings. And thank goodness for that!

When I said "they or we" I was referring to teachers/staff and parents. It was a generalizing statement yes, but I still believe the kids who get teased or bullied in class for being different (for whatever reasons they are different) don't get the special support that they need. That doesn't mean they don't get help, but I think more needs to be done.

I'm not trying to question whether school staff, faculty and parents don't make any attempts to help these kids. My sister is a teacher and my step dad is a Dean at a very crime ridden school in the city. A lot of my good friends are also teachers. I respect them. Ironically I've been looking into getting into teaching as well. I know these are all good people who do what they can to help troubled kids and educate our youth. I hear stories they tell me and how difficult of a job it is and how much politics they have to put up with. You are right, there are other things to be done than just "listening".

It wasn't right that these shootings happen at all, and I sympathize with the poor families that have to go through all this chaos. I think the education system in the US as a whole is messed up. It bothers me that this still goes on.

Then again one of the most recent school shooting incident was by an older guy who targeted young girls. I didn't read up on the details but that's a whole other thing all together. :rolleyes:

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

For some reason I thought you were gay;) Kids are brainwashed with TV every day of their lives and the TV shows constant murders,crimes etc so kids grow up thinking some stupid gun is going to solve their problems when the reality is a gun solves nothing only increases problems. Our Society is going downhill and removing discipline out of schools was a mistake. Its a sign of the times.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Was it the lisp, or my flamboyant lifestyle? :p

17. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    ****ing kids today. Man, when I was a kid we used to get in fist fights. Every now and then there'd be a knife or a baseball bat. But a gun? That's reserved for pussies.

This is exactly why a "timeout" doesn't teach these children fear and respect for others. I cannot believe the human race has even made it this far. I won't be surprised if the world comes to an end any time soon.

18. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

On that we can absolutely agree. :)

I hope my defensiveness doesn't get you down on teaching. Kids need smart and compassionate people and educators need new allies in the fight for social justice. I bet you'd be a great tacher.

The job sure does make me cranky, though ...

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Some people are banking on it.

20. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    You mean like the $even Hundred Club and Chri$tian $cientologi$t$?