A News Station using Windows

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Macs R Us, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    We just had a bad storm. And the TV News Station we were watching had some big computer issues... I mean big. The station was about to lose the signle and the TV when to Black and, then everyone watching the station saw only onething --- DOS. Yes, DOS the whole screen was just showing what was one there Server using the DIR Command. That was just crazy, everyone knows what there server has on it. Well at least everyone was safe. But Microsoft is really not safe:).

2. zv470 macrumors 6502

Are you sure it wasn't a unix terminal you were seeing? :D

3. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Yes, my local station uses Windows too. However, I toured the studio once and took a look at their editing system and it was around $10K worth of Mac equpiment :). Dual displays, Dual G4 PM, soundboard, FCP... it was nice! :D

JOD8FY

4. Macs R Us thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, DOS... C:, HAHA. I know UNIX and Linux to well to have mised it. I'd gusse it was Windows 2000 Server, or what ever name they call that darn thing.

5. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

So? Canon uses DOS in their SLR digicams too.

6. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

7. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

and they didn't even write it ! :)

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

There is a cable announcement channel on my local Cox service that shows a continuous string of text ads and community announcements with background music. At least twice I've surfed by it to see the image frozen with a big Windows error dialog box in the middle of the screen--who knows for how long, but I gave up after laughing for a couple of minutes.

Not as bad as the news, but still humorous.

9. Macs R Us thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, yes the best Windoz OS, but windows is such junk, I'd use dos over Win 95, 3.1, that ME junk, and Most. It;s mostlikely easyer to use :)!

10. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

I got a call from a bank the other day who wanted to see if our software supported Windows 95, because that's what they run throughout the bank. Now that is scary. Why even bother having a safe?

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That is unbelievable. At very worst banks should be on NT 4 :rolleyes:

12. Macs R Us thread starter macrumors 6502

Windoz 95... There CRAZY! Well I gusse no one would think a bank is using 95 and the code would be for a more likely taget or a mass Windoz one that would affect all... Some people... Hum...

13. ½win½lin macrumors member

½win½lin

By next year an estimated 65% of ATMs will be running Windows, too.

14. Macs R Us thread starter macrumors 6502

Well thats not good for our money:)... If some crimanls know dos were in trouble:)

15. garybUK Guest

garybUK

if you want to check out Windows in the world and its affects.. check out http://zem.squidly.org/bsod/ lots of pictures taken by people of very public examples of Windows crashing!

Our own BBC uses linux to distribute ceefax (a tv based text information service with indexing / page numbers, its carried over with the tv signal) and they use linux over a 10mbps line to feed digital text services, same idea but more like a web page with hyperlinks and faster access over the same tv signal.

I beleive they use MAC's & Windows but some more professional gear to produce tv shows.

16. Artimus macrumors newbie