A Newton Cell phone... Very neat...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Macs R Us, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    Well... I have been working on a Newton 2100 and moding it to be a CELL PHONE, yep thats right a phone... After getting the Messaging card "Cell/Modem card" I finaly did it I made a wireless CALL to my house from my Newton... Yep it can be DONE... Well I thoguht the Newton people would like to know please let me know if anyone want to know what is needed... This post is just to let you all know Apple does not need a New PDA since the 2100 (from 1997) can do so much... Very neat ideas... Any ideas how to improve this?

2. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

3. Macs R Us thread starter macrumors 6502

Well as far as the Pics... I have many but it looks the same os it was shipped with... However the cards and software is what it works with... Since its a MONO Specker its not great (but good for me)... I found a service for Paging and Cell phone and for 29.95 Per MO I got it working as A CELL PHONE... My next task it wireless online... Heres the PIC you can see by adding the two $50 cards and a service its simple (AND COOL)... [​IMG]

4. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

This is soo W?BIC!*

Its sad that this would for all intents and purposes roll back the size of your "phone" to aprox the size of those brick phones back in the 80's. Cool. Not very practical. :p

*Why? Because I can!

5. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I'm a little unclear on the details ...

Wouldn't you have to write software / firmware for it? Did you just implant some guts from a phone in there? Can it both make and receive calls? Do people laugh at you when you hold a giant PDA up to your head? :p

6. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

What about the ariel and sim? Analogue or digital? Our do you mean a cordless landline?

7. Macs R Us thread starter macrumors 6502

Well... I have some cards a Modem/Celluar Card, and a messaging card (for pages)... I can only Make a call not recive... I'm using my other service... Yep its not practiale, but where have you seen a Newton used a a Cell... I'll get pics of the cards soon...