A non-Mac Laptop Processor Question...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LastLine, Feb 1, 2006.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

Aug 24, 2005
    So I've got a Windows laptop (purely for Tablet use to be fair) that is running a 1.1 Centrino ULV processor. Does anyone know how easy this is to change, if it is possible at all? I'd like to up it to 1.5+ if possible, though I'm unsure where I'd look for the chip.
  2. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2004
    If it was a desktop, it'd be dead easy. With laptops, it's almost never the case that the processor is in an actual socket. The reason for this is that a socket adds width to the machine. Space is a premium in laptops nowadays, so they don't generally bother. In short, you can change the processor if you're REALLY good with a soldering iron, but that's about it.
  3. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Aug 24, 2005
    Kind of what I'd guessed really. I just read something in a post elsewhere on the forum earlier that got me thinking about the idea. Ah well, 1.1 it is :) Does what I need it to anyway, was just an idea for a pet project.:rolleyes:
  4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    The performance gain you'd see is probably not worth the substantial time, risk and cost required. Besides, I'm not sure how easy it is to buy Centrino chips at retail, since they're pretty much just for laptops.
  5. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2004
    The processors are actually pretty easy to get. There are a number of companies (like Asus) that sell barebones laptops, which require you to add a processor. I know of at least a few parts merchants who have Centrino chips on hand.
  6. matticus008 macrumors 68040

Jan 16, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, they're not that hard to find, but there really is a substantial amount of work involved in installing them in most notebooks from major vendors. It will involved disassembling a cooling system that chances are was not designed to come apart, de-soldering the CPU from the mainboard, and soldering the new one in place.

It's a lot of work and a few hundred dollars for what is likely a marginal performance gain. The Asus barebones computers, last time I checked, had drop-in ZIF sockets. I'd say that 95% of retail notebooks do not.