Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
They will not put effort into improving things along the way they probably know of won't be there in the next couple of years anyway. Finder, explorer, great things back in the 90s. Today? Get rid of the legacy already.

Lets get rid of mice too, their legacy. Oh can't forget USB and Ethernet, everyone uses Thunderbolt now. Nobody uses CDs or DVDs anymore, Apple should remove all support for anything that isn't a SSD too!

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
I'm buying ML because it fixes the mistakes of Lion. The fact that I have to spend $20 to fix Apple's mistakes, when I have a copy of SL that - if it wasn't artificially limited - would work just fine, is obnoxious.

And that's my word of the day for Apple: Obnoxious.

I don't think that's why Apple released ML.

It's ridiculous that certain people expect major changes in every point release, but it seems clear that ML is a big step towards merging iOS with OS X, which is a major change in itself. This is where computing is going, and Apple is leading the way. The real question for those complaining is: How would you suggest Apple release these changes? If not a $20 point release, should it all have come down as updates and new apps through Software Update and the App Store? It seems obvious that the most sensible way to release these changes and features was with an OS update, and that's what Apple did. The fact that you see this as a failure, because it's not a groundbreaking update to desktop computing, is complete nonsense. The only thing that's irrelevant in this discussion is what you wish Apple would have done by now.

Last edited:

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Taking the topic literally, "Irrelevance" is a strong word. ML must be looked at for what it is: an incremental upgrade at a cost of $20. For $20, does it provide value? IMO, yes, it does.

1. Increased security.
2. Increased performance (my Mac now boots in 13 seconds).
3. Improved iCloud integration.

These three things alone are worth it to me, and thus make ML relevant.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Mountain Lion is a polished up Lion with a few more features. I like ML and what it has to offer over Lion. With that said, I agree wholeheartedly that apple is playing it safe at this point. I think they had an opportunity to really leverage and extend OSX, but instead opted to make a few updates.

This seems to be a recurring theme now since Leopard.

Snow Leopard was a polished upgrade to Leopard.
Lion was a polished upgrade to Snow Leopard (bringing very little in the way of real new features or enhancements at all).

and from the sounds of it Mountain Lion is effectively a 'patch' for Lion that adds a few relatively small addons such as notifications. Can anyone tell me of any real, true features in ML that make it worthy of a whole new OS version?

I'm not bashing here, I'm genuinely asking as I've not hit buy yet but will be doing so when the download servers calm down a bit.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I'm sure it's not, and Apple has way too much hubris to even suggest it. But the reality is that's why I'm buying it. To fix Apple's mistakes.

I've just read Siracusa's way-too-verbose and now-overhyped review of ML - not exciting at all, but as you said above, worth doing it for the sake of bug-fixing and AirPlay mirroring for the price of a single lunch (at least here in Switzerland)...this is all I can say.

----------

This seems to be a recurring theme now since Leopard.

Snow Leopard was a polished upgrade to Leopard.
Lion was a polished upgrade to Snow Leopard (bringing very little in the way of real new features or enhancements at all).

and from the sounds of it Mountain Lion is effectively a 'patch' for Lion that adds a few relatively small addons such as notifications. Can anyone tell me of any real, true features in ML that make it worthy of a whole new OS version?

I'm not bashing here, I'm genuinely asking as I've not hit buy yet but will be doing so when the download servers calm down a bit.

Read my first post and you'll see what is "innovative" or really "useful" in my opinion...AirPlay mirroring and a better Safari are what come to mind, especially if you don't care about excessive iOS integration or iCloud gibberish.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Read my first post and you'll see what is "innovative" or really "useful" in my opinion...AirPlay mirroring and a better Safari are what come to mind, especially if you don't care about excessive iOS integration or iCloud gibberish.

I think Airplay Mirroring is about the only "Feature" I'd use...even then it'd still be via iTunes like I've always used to play content on the Apple TV.

Just really shocked at the lack of features here. At least Lion had some pretty good under the hood speed improvements, but ML doesn't even seem to continue on those lines. Just the same ageing UI and the same broken Finder :(

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I think Airplay Mirroring is about the only "Feature" I'd use...even then it'd still be via iTunes like I've always used to play content on the Apple TV.

Just really shocked at the lack of features here. At least Lion had some pretty good under the hood speed improvements, but ML doesn't even seem to continue on those lines. Just the same ageing UI and the same broken Finder :(

Well, people DO seem to report speed gains and overall polishing tweaks, so I wouldn't really go against that. My point is similar to yours, though: close to zero innovation and no more "wow" factor.

Funnily, I used to get a lot more excited when an upgrade felt REALLY like an upgrade and cost $129...now it's all about increments instead of leaps, despite Siracusa trying his hardest to show it in the most positive light possible.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
It needs a SSD. If you're running a hard disk while its fetching your mail and writing to your spinning platter-based drive while it's bumpin' up and down in the back seat of your car, then good luck -- you'll need a new drive soon.

What I don't understand or rather, what I DO understand ... is why they limit it to new macs only. Seems there needs to be a firmware update, but I wonder if this can be hacked so that you can enable it in older based macs?

Coz if you put a SSD in one of them older macs... well... there you go.

Fair enough. But I also heard that it has somehow been limited to Apple's own collection of SSDs, meaning if I upgrade my new 2012 MBP with an SSD later, it won't PowerNap? Or will it?

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Fair enough. But I also heard that it has somehow been limited to Apple's own collection of SSDs, meaning if I upgrade my new 2012 MBP with an SSD later, it won't PowerNap? Or will it?

No, it won't. At least this is what Apple itself says with "built-in SSDs"; I've heard the same from developers. See my previous posts above.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY

If there are any valid and logical points to be made by the OP and others who share his opinion, saying that there are a lack of new features is not one. Please go here and look around before this claim is made again:

http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html

Not using available features is one thing, but ML was not released for you, specifically. I don't use Dashboard, but it's still a feature of OS X. iOS features coming to OS X is reflective of the direction computing is moving, and that alone makes this worthy of an update. From now on, people just need to say that Apple isn't introducing what they've dreamed up in their own mind, and that Apple isn't innovating as fast as they think they should be able to, because that's all this thread is really about.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
If there are any valid and logical points to be made by the OP and others who share his opinion, saying that there are a lack of new features is not one. Please go here and look around before this claim is made again:

http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html

Not using available features is one thing, but ML was not released for you, specifically. I don't use Dashboard, but it's still a feature of OS X. iOS features coming to OS X is reflective of the direction computing is moving, and that alone makes this worthy of an update. From now on, people just need to say that Apple isn't introducing what they've dreamed up in their own mind, and that Apple isn't innovating as fast as they think they should be able to, because that's all this thread is really about.

The real issue is that the top features of ML really are quite minor and not worthy of a whole new OS. Adding a notification app and buttons to tweet dont really make for the 'wow' factor.

To give you some kind of perspective, in pretty much all OS X releases we've seen significant performance increases (not just a minor performance bump due to the OS being tidy and fresh) and unlocking extra processing potential, as well as some large updates. On this occasion it feels like a very minor patch on Lion along with a new wallpaper. It seems that there really is no groundbreaking new feature that stands out with the 'wow' factor.

As for the likes of Dashboard, Apple killed it within a month of it being released - they stopped accepting new widget submissions and have never mentioned dashboard since. It seems to be a common occurrence (e.g Ping).

quickmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2011
On one hand I agree with OP that Apple on the surface appears to be "resting on their laurels" while other companies catch up or at least attempt to catch up. I can't speak on whether this is true or not but first thing that came to mind was that with the billions in cash they have in the bank and the utter cash cow that iPhone and iOS is, even if they get lazy they aren't depending on the income coming in right now for working on new projects. They can get lazy screw up then invest billions in cash in doing what they do best.

Should they do this? Probably not. They should always innovate.

Which leads me to the other hand of this debate. No one really knows what Apple is doing behind the scenes. Microsoft is taking a huge risk on Windows 8 and "dramatic" changes and yet early reports are that Windows 8 is "meh" when compared to Windows 7. So maybe Apple is waiting for Microsoft to flop and if they somehow don't then it's an early warning for Apple to keep stepping it up.

Also consider that the integration of iCloud into ML is even more apparent now. Multiple applications and file types seamlessly and in real time on all of your devices at once. Business wise it's smart because it locks people into the system. Technology wise it's cutting edge because Microsoft can't come close to it and Google is limited in it. That alone is huge innovation.

Also look at the hardware. The new Retina MBP is advanced in design and the technology used...no one else will come close for a while. They could have just slacked off and kept the same MBPs around with incremental upgrades and a slightly new OS, but they once again reinvented the laptop to push the limits of the design.

You can't blame a company that quickly made billions off one device and continues to profit off it for wanting to take whatever people like about it and integrating it into other products. They could milk it for years without any adverse effects while other companies shoot themselves in the foot trying to recreate something Apple already did years ago.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
To give you some kind of perspective, in pretty much all OS X releases we've seen significant performance increases (not just a minor performance bump due to the OS being tidy and fresh) and unlocking extra processing potential, as well as some large updates. On this occasion it feels like a very minor patch on Lion along with a new wallpaper. It seems that there really is no groundbreaking new feature that stands out with the 'wow' factor.

Supposedly ML has some new memory management or maybe its the same as SL and it's going to be labeled as new.

underblu

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
I think SL was the last true OS Apple designed for the desktop. This convergence of mobile and desktop OS's provides the worst of both worlds imo.

the only goal of ML imo should have been to improve speed and battery life, everything else is really superfluous

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
Lets get rid of mice too, their legacy. Oh can't forget USB and Ethernet, everyone uses Thunderbolt now. Nobody uses CDs or DVDs anymore, Apple should remove all support for anything that isn't a SSD too!

Pretty stupid to be so sarcastic about it. You get it partially right in fact.

The mouse is already being replaced by the much better trackpad - USB and Ethernet are completely obsolete. Why have different connections when thunderbolt can just be any connection you want. Optical media is a thing of the past, absolutely correct - for your info, they are already getting rid of it.

Depends on how you define SSD. There shouldn't be any SSD drives - the way to go for the moment is the solution you find in current MBAs and the rMBP.

Conclusion here is, you are using it wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.