A NW High School to refuse free Macs!!??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by pretentious, Jun 10, 2003.

1. pretentious macrumors regular

pretentious

This is just wrong, any other Puget Sound Mac users want to speak up against this stupidity?

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i am just glad that was over in not-my-part-of-washington, WA

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm in the Puget Sound area now. If this is true, I think I'll be visiting the school in person to find out what the heck is going on. BTW, doesn't he know that Mac ARE PCs?

Edit: After re-reading the article, the reason they don't want the Macs is because their techs want PCs. Of course they do. Job security. Most of them probably don't know how to even work a Mac. When my Mom's iMacs went down at her school, the tech was oblivious (too busy downstairs playing video games). I had them working in a few minutes. They should hire me for that job!

Seriously, this school has a bunch of Macs anyway. Now they could be given more free. But he doesn't want them because he'd rather pay for PCs. Good move. :rolleyes:

Hope he's fired for his ignorance.

(HE would be the superintendant)

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Even if you hate Macs. Even if you DESPISE them, and you're completely ignorant on the subject of Apple computers, why wouldn't you take them for free, anyway? Its like a homeless person given a ham and cheese sandwich: he doesn't necessarily like ham and cheese, but he would take it anyway because its free, and he's hungry.

Fools.

5. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Gee...do you think this has anything to do with their decision?

Fools. :rolleyes:

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

not sure what you mean, e-coli. Why would breaking students in to smaller groups impact computer buying decisions?

7. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Read the part about the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation donations. Thats what he means. (I think, hope I'm not putting words in your mouth!)

9. bitfactory macrumors 6502

bitfactory

May I suggest e-mailing the Superintendent of Foster.

Send a smart, thoughtful letter to: silverm@tukwila.wednet.edu

His name is Michael Silver.

10. bitfactory macrumors 6502

bitfactory

i've emailed the superintendent (and a few others), and received this message back from Jeff...

I appreciate your support in this matter! Thank you for taking the time to inform Dr. Silver of your opinion...it is important that he hear from the public!

Thanks,
    Jeff Heiman

this email was written on an iMac at school!

11. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

But according to the school technology plan created in 2000, Tukwila schools will move toward using only personal computers, not the Macintosh, for financial reasons, Superintendent Michael Silver said

That some backwards logic !
    Turning down free computers for finacial reasons.

I think Michael Silver needs to go back to school ! Preferable not in his school district :D

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I sent him a thorough email.

The jist of my email was this: Macs are better, and never f**k with Mac users. :cool:

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Re: Stupid Idiots

No kidding, Macs are easier, work and a lot more safer then anywindows machine. A lot of folks dont realize that macs are better! They walk into walmart and think they have a computer.

14. dkeninitz macrumors regular

Re: Re: Stupid Idiots

Speaking of WalMart, have you seen their "Lindows" machine? On topic, I'm surprised the school didn't at least accept the machines and sell them to raise funds.

15. Jesus on OSX macrumors member

Not exactly bad news. I'll tell you why.

Many schools have aged apple hardware running OS8 or at best OS9. It really frustrates the users and they think all apple products are this slow/feature-deprived/etc.

Now I don't think anyone in their right mind would refuse eMacs running OSX.

When Lindows was intitially released for general consumption through Walmart, linux users were ranting about the event. The general displeasure could have been summed up in "When average Joe Sixpack uses this pseudo-Linux distribution on inferior hardware, they will think the OS is just crappy and would be reluctant to try other distributions in the future"

Yes. That is exactly the reason. I would rather have people not use horribly outdiated computers, than develop hostility towards the brand. I remember my peers cursing at my school's Performas back in the day and saying Apple was the gayest thing ever.

16. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Actually, you are right. As Mac users, we are always proud of how well our machined run years after they are "outdated", but in school settings, kids are getting the impression that all Macs are like the ones in their schools. The school I teach at still has LCIIIs in the office for the secretaries. Now, while they are perfectly functional for what these people need, the kids that work in the office have no idea that those machines are over 10 years old and still running great. Who would think that having a product work so right for so long could actually hurt public perception. Some people. Sheesh.

Regards,
    Gus

17. MUrhino macrumors regular

MUrhino

Superintendent needs to go back to school

Hmm...this is a tough call. Mac's = education friendly for years...and FREE....or PC's = $$$.

Maybe I slept through all of my accounting classes but what kind of financial reasons would make someone turn away free computers?

18. Remus macrumors member

Does this suprise anybody. I mean does Bill (Gates) want Macs in his own backyard :D

Though it is getting tougher to tell what his backyard is. It almost seems like it is the entire world.... :p

There seems to be a lot of resistance to Mac Technology.

RESISTANT IS FUTILE :mad: