A PC like a MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by toutbeau, Feb 21, 2007.

1. toutbeau macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2007
    I have decided a PC would be better than a Mac for me.

Because of cost mainly

MBP is £1700

A high spec lenovo would cost bit over a £1000.

Unless I buy a refurb.

But I would like to have a look at a refurb before I buy.

I don't think you can in an apple store.

maybe a lenovo z61m perhaps
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    okay. but you can't run OS X on a Lenovo.
    don't know what you were expecting to accomplish with this thread. i hope its not trolling or flamebait.
  3. sturigdson macrumors regular

Apr 3, 2006
    I agree- not a particularly interesting or useful thread.

I'll throw in it for a bit, tho...
    If cost is your primary issue, with the MacBooks not fit your needs? The hardware you buy with the money is only part of the equation.

Dont forget that you can run windows on the intel macs now, so you're actually gaining all of that functional capabilities with the macs as well.
  4. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Jul 6, 2004
    Nagoya, Japan
    As everyone points out, the OS is the killer feature of Macs. I second the suggestion of a Macbook — the only significant differences between it and the Lenovo are the somewhat inferior graphics, the much nicer form factor, and the smaller screen. (But I'll bet the Macbook's screen quality is better than the Lenovo's. I'm very impressed by the Macbooks in that regard.)

If you're near an Apple store, you might also check it out for refurbished Macbook Pros.
  5. eluk macrumors 6502a

Dec 14, 2006
    East London, UK
    They look the same as the ones on display, but they'll come in plain box.

There again you don't want a Mac. :apple:
  6. Amuraivel macrumors member

Jan 31, 2006
    I dissent from the opninions above.

OS X 10.4.8 runs fine on a ThinkPad, especially the T60p series which have a GPU similar to the MacBookPro. You get a higher res. screen, cheaper, solid build machine, and dedicated GPU.

Whether running OSX is legal depends on your jurisdiction; everyone seems to forget this.

In the Syrian Arab Republic you can download it an install.

In Europe, most jurisdictions, execpt for maybe Sweden, would require you to own a copy.

In the US, you need to own a copy, but you are in contractual violation (which may or may not be a concern).
  7. PDE macrumors 68020

Nov 16, 2005
    I'd love to have a thinkpad T60 running macos x, but I worry that it would be a lot of hassle to get everything working and keep it working. Do you have any experience with this? What are the main problem getting it all set up?

I'd be especially excited about the flexview screen....
  8. eyemacg5 macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2006
    Derbyshire, England

How is this so? Don't EULAs count over there?

It's illegal?
  9. memoteran macrumors member

Oct 26, 2006
    get an asus laptop pretty good machines
    and they are cheap
  10. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    In a country where your hand can be chopped off for touching a woman in public, who cares about Amerikansi laws.

Please repeat after me, Apple is not God. EULAs are contracts, not laws. Oh and by the way when you download the latest Semtex/*******/JaS version of OS X they have conveniently stripped the EULA out of it too, so technically you didn't even read the licensing agreement.

11. cwedl macrumors 65816

Jun 5, 2003
    Whats the point of posting this on a mac forum? Thats fine if you don't want a mac, but to me the cost of buying a device isn't as important as the experience of ownership.
  12. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    It's just a troll. A refurb is better than the thinkpad in every way, then this guy said he wants to look at the machine much. Picky man much?
  13. PDE macrumors 68020

Nov 16, 2005

Oh, I like that. I prefer not to read those EULA agreements when I'm pirating. It just makes me feel better : )
  14. Pressure macrumors 68040

May 30, 2006
    Perhaps people should take the subject about whether or not installation of Mac OSX on a non-Apple computer is illegal or not elsewhere.

I doubt the original poster had that in mind when he created the thread.

I've read a few comic books, had a few pints and as such think I should chip in with my opinion on the matter.

It depends what your primary needs are, if you do not absolutely need Mac OSX I would look elsewhere for cheaper solutions (seeing as you cannot, at this time, afford the MacBook Pro). Be it the MacBook or something entirely different. As long as it fit your needs.

I would take a gander at http://forum.notebookreview.com/ but don't expect them to react positive when you mention Apple ;)
  15. macg4 macrumors 6502a

Nov 17, 2003
    Des Moines,Iowa
    sounds like this thread is not going anywhere. mods you may wanna shut it down
  16. princealfie macrumors 68030

Mar 7, 2006
    Salt Lake City UT
    You can run OS X on a Lenovo actually. I'm using my pearpc to run Panther on my Compaq Presario.

Still, getting a Mac is much better.
  17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    That really makes me wonder why it took Apple so long to work on the Arabic support. I'm sure they wanted to allow people to have Mac OS X for free.

Apple are not god but Apple, like many companies, deserve to have their intellectual property rights respected and they should get the money owed them.
  18. heehee macrumors 68020

Jul 31, 2006
    Same country as Santa Claus
    Not legally.
  19. princealfie macrumors 68030

Mar 7, 2006
    Salt Lake City UT
    I don't think that Apple dislikes virtualization of Mac OS X on PC... it's the actual booting of the "real" software that disturbs them. Emulation of the Mac OS X on PC I believe is legit.
  20. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    Tell that to the Windows using Chinese...

Like 60% of Windows installations in China are pirated. Why anyone would even use that POS of an OS (for free) is a discussion for another day though...
  21. Amuraivel macrumors member

Jan 31, 2006
    Getting back to the topic...

1. An original mac is better generally; a refurb sounds like a good suggestion.
    However, there is some hardware that fits a user much better, z61 high res., t60p 14 inch with X1600, X60 series 12 inch.

2. Unless you are mildly geeky, you want a mac end of discussion. Installation on a thinkpad can be annoying.

3. EULA is a contract not LAW; all WTO member countries require users to own a copy of the software.

4. I am personally still waiting for my MacBook Pro 12" 1200x800 with an X1400....a thinkpad may fill that gap.
  22. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

Nov 8, 2006
    Why is everyone here whining about legality?

Ever downloaded an mp3? Yeah, I thought as much. You broke the same law as the people that downloaded the mod'd OS X.

Stop being arrogant, thanks.
  23. netdog macrumors 603

Feb 6, 2006
    Uh, I haven't ever downloaded an MP3 that the artist hadn't approved for free distribution. Plenty of FLACs and SHNs from those that have.

Uh, like you said...er...thanks.
  24. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

Jul 30, 2006
    i have decided a peecee will be better for you, too. what's your point?

25. drake macrumors 6502a

Jul 5, 2005
    Next time a license agreement pops up, try hitting "decline". Chances are, it might just continue to install and then you're not obligated by the contract. :p I've heard of instances of people doing this with XP and it works.