A Personal Computer to Carry in a Pocket

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 8, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    The original OQO was a neat concept.

This version is even better.

Those of us who have used Newton, Palm OS and Pocket PC devices know what Apple can do. While Apple may not introduce a PDA, a smartphone or something long those lines would be awesome. Can't wait until tomorrow gets here! :)
  3. Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I'm glad to see that OQO is continuing to get development, too. It may not be perfect, but I'm glad they're updating it rather than just trashing the concept. :)
  4. Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    Me too!

I may pick one up simply because Apple has no alternative...yet.
  5. macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    Yeh, It's good that they've updated it. I remember when the OQO first came out, I thought it was absolutely amazing. However, it had become slow and out-of-date in comparison to the Vaios and other pocket PCs out there. The new one looks quite good though!
  6. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    A pocket computer would be infinitely better than any other computer most of the time. Meaning, all the time when I don't HAVE my laptop with me, making said laptop completely useless most of the time. But a computer always in my pocket would be functional, despite the compromises. Compromises are infinitely better than nothing!

The rest of the time, by adding a keyboard and larger display, a pocket computer could be just as good as any other computer for many non-intensive tasks.

And it need not be a portable keyboard/display--you could connect whatever display and keyboard is lying around at your destination (friend's house, office, etc.)
  7. macrumors 68020

Aug 23, 2004
    50.813669°, -2.474796°
    I'm glad to see the ultra-slim continued as well--it just pains me that Apple isn't into the fray (yet?). I've longed to see a portable appliance that serves as a computing core that has access to most (if not all) of your desktop files and apps while on -the-go, yet can be plugged into a base-station type module for additional RAM/HD/CPU power.

Now if only it can play GTA.