A player that plays most formats, and in which I can keep a library.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by prettyvisitor, Nov 28, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Just got a mac and I've got loads of music, of which much is wma format - which of course doesn't play in itunes. I downloaded realplayer and vlc but I can't keep a library in them and I'm not too keen on converting all of it. Looking for player that will play most formats, (or at least wma and mp3) but will also keep a library...

Cheers!

2. macrumors 68020

juanster

with a library or playlist? hmmm that's a hard one

3. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Depending on the size of your library, you'll probably be better off to bite the bullet and convert to a more universal format and use iTunes.

4. macrumors 603

I would suggest using a conversion utility like "EasyWMA" to convert them all to mp3 format.

I've used it a few times and it does the job.

EasyWMA _may_ do "batch conversions" as well to convert entire groups of files, but never tried to do that here.

There are a few other conversion utilities out there, as well.

The Mac and wma files just don't play well together. Best route is to convert and use with something like iTunes...

- John

5. macrumors G5

Consultant

You can convert WMA or re-rip your CDs to a modern format: mp4 (aac).

6. macrumors 6502

can't you just drop wmas into itunes and get them converted automatically?

7. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Only on the Windows version of iTunes. Not on the Mac version.

8. macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

9. macrumors 6502a

Does Media Monkey support wma? I'd imagine it does. That's a good little library manager. Supports and syncs to lots of players too.

10. macrumors 68000

dXTC

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses.
    I'm actually still stuck, mediamonkey seems good but there's no version for mac, while doubletwist won't work for me, I have no idea why. I install it, but it won't start for me.
    As for converting, easyWMA will probably be my last resort as I'd rather go free. Most are paying though. One that looked promising was switch, it's free, but again, didn't work for me. If anyone knows of any other free converters or any more ideas on a player it would be much appreciated!
    Cheers

12. macrumors 65832

wywern209

why don't u just just try re-ripping? that may sound tedious but this way, u will save ur self time spent hunting for that perfect software.

13. macrumors 65816

So far the best media player software I have used on OSX is Songbird. Its loading is a bit slow but it can play almost any audio file out there and the interface is fairly customizable/skinnable.

14. thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah yes! Thanks very much. Songbird is exactly what I wanted - it's excellent!
    Cheers for the post and thanks to everyone else who responded as well

15. macrumors 68020

Unless you have pirated all that WMA music (I find that hard to believe because well no one uses WMA) you should probably re-rip the CD's to MP3 or AAC. You lose quality when you convert from one lossy format to another lossy format.