A possible Non-Coastal World Series!

Discussion in 'Community' started by sturm375, Oct 9, 2002.

1. sturm375 macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    For the first time in recent memory, there is the distinct possibility that neither team in this year's World Series will be from a Coast. From a mid-Americaner (Invented word) this is refreshing. Nothing against the Coasts, but there is a lot more to American than East or West coasts.

Of course the Networks will hate this possibility:D
  2. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    with minnesota winning one over the angels, you are one game closer to your midwestern world series

throughout history, the yankees alone have made a lot of world series at least an east coast thing, not to mention the brooklyn/la dodgers, the ny mets, the ny/sf giants, atlanta/boston braves, pirates and phillies (kind of east coast), the marlins, the orioles, and many other coastal, or near coastal baseball teams

i don't recall tons of midwestern or non-coastal only world series but i am sure some of them have involved the st. louis cardinals with their nine rings or the big red machine in cincinatti

and then there is kansas city, the tigers, the rangers (but they could be a gulf state team), the astros (same thing), cubs, montreal, diamondbacks, rockies, toronto, the white sox, and others

my guess is that it will be the twins vs the cardinals, but that is not a sure thing since all four teams alive right now were underdogs:p
  3. sturm375 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
  4. cryptochrome macrumors regular

Jan 4, 2002
    Baseball is bunk. The most exciting thing this season was the threat of a potentially fatal strike. Teams win based on who's got the cash to buy the best players. Despite their nominal city/regional affiliations, no one on the team has any loyalty to an area, as the nomadic movement of teams demonstrates. Smaller, homier minor league teams are pushed aside by a major league marketing machine. Not to mention a world series which is only as international as the toronto blue jays (in the aptly named American League) and the montreal expos (in the equally aptly named National league). Not a cuban or japanese team in sight.

You know what would make baseball interesting? Restricting players only to teams near where they live or where they're from, and salary caps to limit corruption. Give minor and international leagues/teams a chance to play against or even IN the majors (hell, why not college teams too?), and make their way to the world series. Now that would be interesting!
  5. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001
    Go Giants!

But if we must go down, I want the Twins to win it all. Stick it to that bum of a Commish!