A Post Dedication - Heres To The Imac G4

Discussion in 'Community' started by BakedBeans, Aug 31, 2004.

1. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

the iMac g4 is dead (or knocking on the door)
    long live the g5

but i just wanted to dedicate some reading/writing time to the beauty that is the imac g4... it wowed us with its amazing, innovative, stunning and original looks

its one of the finest peices of art i have seen in the last 10 years

thanks apple

thanks imac

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I for one will be keeping my 20" G4 iMac. I find the design of the new G5 to be a regression rather than a progression. Sure the new iMac is sleek and pretty but in the new design it loses functionality. Just last night I was at my desk and I swung the monitor around to show my wife something, this is not a possibility in the new iMac. Unfortunately the design of the G4 was such a great achievement it will be very hard to surpass it, perhaps in a few years when this G5 is discontinued we will finally see a proper replacement.
    So here is to the iMac G4, may you sit on my desk indefinitely.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'm with you. I'll be holding onto my 17" G4 for awhile as well. The new design, while clean, lacks the character of the G4 iMac.

It was almost a let-down to open up apple.com this morning and see the new G5...

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, yes, I love my 17" flat-screen iMac. I love the swivel feature. But I'd trade it in an instant for one of the new ones. New design: not quite as nice. New specs: much, much better.

5. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

The iMac G4 design is infinately better than the new g5 design. The pivot arm is was probably the most functional computer invention since I have been alive, I have no idea why they left it. Personally, the G4 iMac to me will always be the deffinative iMac.

Long live the G4 iMac.

6. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I puchased my G4 iMac when they were announced and waited 2 months for it to be shipped........and it was well worth the wait. I have since upgraded to a 17" and will not be getting rid of it anytime soon. The new iMacs are only appealing b/c they have a G5 processor and some better specs. The design, while impressive for size, is not anywhere near as awe inspiring as the G4's. The G4's ability to move the screen where you want is great for long hours at the computer, watching movies, exercising and watching the iMac, and showing others what you're doing while at the computer. The new design is a step backwards from this design b/c it takes away from the ease of use in the all-in-one design that is the iMac. Sure you can buy a vesa mount with the G5 iMacs, but then it is no longer an all-in-one design. The new G5 iMacs will sell very well, but like Apples website stated: it has a "small footprint"....and a small footprint it will leave on everyone compared to the G4 iMacs that are always seen on television and are very noticeable.

7. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I guess I will get one ... :) I like the G4 and will get a G5 after Tiger, that means in 1 year ...

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think the iMac G4 was a piece of art, whereas the new iMac has a greater function. It takes up less space than ever, and the fact that it's all in the monitor is amazing. No, it doesn't look as nice in adverts and what not, but I can guarantee you right now that IBM and Dell are immediately back at the drawing board after seeing the new iMac. The desktop-behind-LCD design of both these companies now seems like a big joke. "Hey, lets design a computer where we put the tower behind the LCD!" Bahaha!! Yeah, great engineering feat...NOT! This new Apple, whether you like it or not, is amazing, and is an engineering feat that other companies are going to scramble to try and duplicate.

And I would't care about the arm. Seriously, the few times I'd have a use for a pivoting arm isn't worth giving up this new iMac. It doesn't look like a piece of art anymore, but its definitely magic.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

20 bucks says that within a week or so we'll see a little rotating "lazy susan" that fits under the stand and allows for rotation. 20 more bucks says that within a month there's one which looks like part of the design (i.e., not a quick ugly product, one which fits the stand foot precisely). Boom - swivel capability will return.

10. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I agree, and think that it will be very hard, if not impossible to improve on the G4 iMac's design. I love the ability to turn the screen left and right, up and down and tilt it forward and backwards. The only thing that appeals to me about the new iMac is the specs. Also, the way my desk is arranged, the G5 iMac would take up more space than the G4 iMac would.

11. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i thought the same. I also wonder why apple hasn't included it themself, as an "add-on" to be included or not.
    I have to see it in person, but just think of how nice it is to claim back the entire desk space!

btw, great avatar!

12. bont macrumors member

I'll be skipping a few generations, I'm moving from a bondi blue iMac G3 (with non-functioning cd-rom drive and 1 working USB port) to a iMac G5, ordered it today :) I've waited a long time for this!

13. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I heard from another Mac-using friend that the reason Apple ditched the swing-arm was that the base of the iMac was getting heavier and heavier in order to counterbalance the weight of the increasingly larger screens. Notice that in Apple's pages for the new iMac, they brag about how much lighter it is than the G4 version:
    That extra 15 pounds wasn't components; it was simply deadweight to keep the thing from falling over on its LCD face. Not only was it that much heavier to ship, but it was getting harder and harder to pick up the iMac and move it around (the swing-arm was also designed to be a handle).

14. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

15. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Hopefully we get something like this from XtremeMac.....with extra USB/Firewire Ports. They are the ones that made the U.F.O. for the G4 iMac and it's great.

xtrememac.com

16. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I will miss the G4 iMac.

It was the second Mac I had at a workplace, and the first Mac with OS X that I ever touched. Unfortunately, I was too mired in my PC ways at the time to appreciate the iMac, or even Macs in general.

Oh iMac, I am so sorry for all those things I said, please don't hold it against me. We had good times, friend.

17. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    If the arm comes off of the the new IMac then there is some serious potential. Especially if you could get one with a video card that has a dv in and a 30" model.

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It's wall-mountable, baby!

PS Check the sidebar at the site - it's not exactly blatantly mentioned....

19. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i love my 15" G4 iMac, and it's great, but even if they had the same specs yet the new design was $50-100 more, i'd go for the new design merely because of tight space... ah well...
    i'm content with my current setup, for the next two weeks or so, when the new ones start shipping :eek:

here's to the iMac!!

reality

Attached Files: