"A Prairie Home Companion"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by treblah, Jun 19, 2006.

1. treblah macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2003
    Anyone else seen it? Thoughts, comments, ect…?

As a fan* of the radio show I found it quasi-amusing. I was expecting more for some reason, not just a filming of the show with some flimsy back story. :(

*Fan as in I listen to it when it's on and happen to be in the car. I do enjoy it but I don't have a shrine to Garrison Keillor or anything. And I don't think I am the target demographic so some of the show is over my head. ;)
  2. emmawu macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2005
    Wauwatosa, WI
  3. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    I caught a viewing on PBS last weekend. It's fun to watch it take place. They came to Mississippi a few years ago, I hate that I missed the chance to see them. I thinky you appreciate their talents more when you see them put the show on.
  4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    My father and uncle actually played on the show once. When they came to the Veterans Memorial Auditorium in Providence, the American Band played.

Anyways, my cousin saw the movie, and said it was pretty cool. I'll trust his taste in music, but in other culture (pop or not), I'm usually pretty different from him.
  5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    For those who haven't seen the movie, it's not exactly a filming of a real PHC show, it's a "fictionalized" version of the same thing, with Keillor playing "GK" and actors playing the cast members. Not to be confused with the shows which were filmed and run on PBS. All in all, a very strange concept for a movie. I haven't seen it myself, but the review I read said it didn't work very well, even with Robert Altman doing the directing.