A Problem Regarding Start Up

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aldik, Oct 28, 2003.

1. aldik macrumors newbie

Oct 28, 2003
    Hey everyone, I've got an annoying problem on my hands. Let me take you through what happened:

After using Software Update to update my version of Mac OS X to 10.2.8 I was required to restart my computer. After doing so, the computer rebooted and reached the familiar "grey screen" with the Apple logo and the small spinning icon, but then never loaded the desktop, the finder or the dock. I actually left the computer "loading" for over an hour to no avail.

Ultimately, I rebooted using the System Software disk and had to restore Mac OS X 10.2.1. However, if I restart (I tried it once before -- had to restore OS X again :rolleyes: ) I only reach the "grey screen" and the computer seems to "freeze" up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and if you need me to clarify anything, just let me know.

Thanks in advance! ;)
  2. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    hhmmm... that sounds serious... you could put the install disk back in & boot from that, then repair disk permissions, but i don't know what would screw with them so much if it's only a re-install.:confused:

you could also try holding 's' when you boot up. that'll put you into single user mode, then typy fsck -y to run a file system check. if it makes repairs just type reboot to restart, or if no repairs are made type exit to resume normal startup.

you could also try resetting the PRAM (i think that's what it's called). but i'm not 100% sure how to do that. i think you hold cmd+opt+p+r... but you'd better make sure.

good luck.