A Program to clone my hard drive on to a External

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imacintel, Jun 11, 2006.

1. imacintel macrumors 68000

I need a program to copy my hard drive on to a 80 Gigabyte external. It has about 50GB avail. and I have about 30Gb used on my HD.So is there any program that will work and make a bootable copy of my HD?:confused: I also can't use CarbonCopyCloner, i have tried, it does not support externaqls.

2. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks!

EDIT:

OH Crap. IT is an NTFS drive. Any suggestions?

3. emaja macrumors 68000

Yes CCC does. I - and many others - have used it to do so.

If the drive is formatted NTFS, no Mac will be able to write to it. Your Mac can read it, but Microsoft keeps NTFS a closed format. Your only choice is to reformat it FAT32 or preferably HFS+.

I prefer SuperDuper to CCC and others.

4. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

It does not backup to USB drives.

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

yes it does i just cloned my second internal to my USB drive and it worked perfectly

6. emaja macrumors 68000

A) You did not mention using a USB drive

B) Yes, it will clone to both USB and FW drives, but will only boot a Mac using FW.

One clarification to my previous post. If you want to clone with CCC, the drive will need to be formatted HFS+, but if you merely want to drag and drop data for backup, then FAT32 will work also. You will not be able to use CCC with FAT32 and you will not be able to truly clone - that is, make a bootable copy - to a USB drive, but you can still use CCC to make a backup. It will just not be bootable.

EDIT: You could skip all this USB nonsense by either getting a FW drive (they are faster, better supported for Macs and you can boot from them) or using a program that better supports USB cloning like LaCie's SilverKeeper or SuperDuper.