A proper sendoff for the (original) iMac

Discussion in 'Community' started by medea, Mar 27, 2003.

1. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    Since Apple did recently drop the original iMac from its stores (except the Education dept,) and though some would say "finally!" I think a proper goodbye is in order. After all the iMac did indeed save Apple. so:
    -I found this pic at macedition.com

Attached Files:

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I'll be honest with you, iMac, i never liked you very much. when you were popular, i thought you were fruity and too slow for me. i still think you're too slow, but i now value you as useful to a company which went on to do much greater things with the empowerment you gave it. I miss your vibrant colors, and wish apple would bring them back to the iBook!

3. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Good-bye Good-bye ole trustworthy machine, thank you for improving Apple's popularity. Good luck in whatever your future brings! ;)
  4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    the original imac did save apple, it was and still is a great machine. The best thing apple could do is shove a 970 in it and sell the piss out of it. But iam afraid that they are being ran by corporate executives that have no idea of how this has played out and will resort to the same old bean counting philosophy we have seen so many times in the past. They should take this ball and run with it, but if they continue with the crappy g4 in the imac etc etc well we all know what will happen. Put the 970 1.2 in it and a jammin video card or chip or whatever and sell another 10 million, or keep the lousy g4 and a crappy mx video card and ponder why sales are falling. Here this computer saved this company and all they can do is remove it with hardly a word. Idiots.
  5. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    goodbye iMac. I will always have you in my heart (and it my
    computer room :D). Thank your for wasting so much of my time.

6. daniel77 macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2002
    seattle, wa
    iMac, I hardly knew ye. i only knew your half-retarded cousin, Bondi. ;)
  7. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    My iMac isn't gone. :) Ruby is quite alive and kicking. She just lost the possibility of siblings. :D
  8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    The iMac changed computing and more. It was great and now its time for something new.

Long Live the iMac!

(in 10 years or more it will be a nice little, quaint, collectors item)

D :D
  9. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    thank you for helping save apple, mr imac

i was so impressed with you when i first saw you in a college bookstore, that i eventually bought your little brother, the blueberry ibook which i am typing on right now

i also would like mention two other factors that also helped save apple in the late 90s

1) steve jobs who brought his vision and charisma to the the company and was the only person worthy to show off the great imac

2) bill gates, yes...him, who gave the company some needed investment, credibility in the financial sector for apple, and a willingness to be at peace with apple and make some good software for us macheads

a lot of work with many other people behind the scenes were also instrumental in helping apple, but there is no physical manifestation that represents apple's comeback more than the bondi imac

again, thank you, imac

we will miss you
  10. mikulashek macrumors member

Feb 18, 2003
    I don't consider what I do "living."
    sigh, it is true the little computer that helped bring apple back to life died a quiet death, but we will all remember it well. I cant help it because mines still running smoothly in my office.
  11. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Nov 4, 2001
    Bye Buddy, I only had one original iMac, we used it as a font server at work, serving about 100 repro artists and about 4000 fonts. It worked like a dream (we got a few xserves to do the job now)

You might not have been the best looking, but u were cute and fun, ill certainly miss ya, but this isn't the end for you, you take over where the Mac Classic and Mac SE left off :D

12. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

Jan 5, 2003
    So long, original iMac. I didn't really do much with you. I have played on one of you only a couple times.

The new generation of you (FP iMacs) are really nice. :)

Goodbye! ;) :D
  13. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I happened to have the same experience with the iMac. I trully like to look at them. Hopefully the color scheme can be brought back!
  14. Independence macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    United States
    well, goodbye imac. i remember first seeing you at school, thinking "it looks stupid, i like those other all-in-ones". after awhile, i got used to the color and shape and thought "it's really not all that bad". to this day, i still dont own a mac but i plan on buying your newer cousin. patience is my ally. :)
  15. Cheese macrumors 6502

Dec 26, 2002
    In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    Goodbye so soon? Yes it is true that there is other, faster hardware out there. Perhaps the older designs have lost a bit of their luster. Within the heart of my iMac classic there is a spark of genius that I have as of yet failed to discover in any other computational medium. I have personally found that the neysayers are usually jealous of the iMac. As far as speed... I am perfectly happy with this G3 and it's slightly underclocked capabilities. For the everyday, casual email, Appleworks, iTunes, netsurfing user... I can think of nothing more desirable to enjoy the world of computing. Love them or hate them, for whatever reason you can't ignore that few other pieces of electronic gadgetry have evoked as much emotion, creativity, and dampness upon departure. You may be successful at removing from me some money, or perhaps my car or even my (paintball) gun... but I will give up my Indigo DV400 iMac when you pry my cold dead fingers from around it's mouse and KBD!!!! iMac's forever!!!!
  16. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

Apr 7, 2002
    Commerce Township
  17. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

Jan 1, 2002
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    when i saw the sidenote in the macrumors article the other day about the death of the crt imac, i didn't really give it much though. " 'bout time," i thought. but this thread has really made me think about it...the old era of the comeback of the mac has ended. be it better or worse in one's own opinion, we are in the next phase on the road to complete maturity (or world domination.. whatever :) ). not that this event neccesarilly MARKS the new era, but it is the end of all that lingers from the old.
    i'd like to quote from the immortal John Donne:

Death be not proud, though some have called thee
    Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so;
    For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow,
    Die not, poor death, nor yet cans't thou kill me. [Or the MAC!!!!!!!]

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  18. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    goodbye beautiful, fruity, wonderful iMac. You were the reason why everyone now knows Apple :'(
    if only steve jobs wasn't so obsessed with innovation and he still liked you...:(
    :: kiss ::