A PS3 or Free Tacos for Life?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xli_ne, Nov 21, 2006.

1. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/746/746898p1.html

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've never seen or tried a Taco before but a google search brought up some gross looking things.
    I'd have the PS3 please, then flog it for a full kitted out Wii, maybe an extra gig of RAM for my iMac too. Maybe a new iPod...

3. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I don't understand, is it free tacos for life as in how ever many you want until you die? Or is there a set amount of tacos that is assumed as the amount an individual would eat in his or her life time?

I was thrown off by this:

"equivalent of tacos for life."

and this

"$12,500 in Taco Bell Bucks"

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I would take the tacos. Start up my own business selling tacos then buy the PS3. That way you get both for free.

My brain is so big my neck hurts.

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

You're missing out. Tacos are yummy.
    It's the "set amount that is assumed"...but I guess you don't have to get tacos with it if it's like a giftcard. I'd go for the quesodillas.

6. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Mmmm, tacos...drool...

Too bad they're from Taco Bell!

7. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

If I just had a choice of having free tacos for life (from anywhere) or having a PS3, I'd take tacos hands down. Then again, gaming doesn't interest me.

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

tacos hands down (even if it were any other console)

i'm pretty sure that the money you save by eating tacos instead of buying food makes up the price of buying a new console quite soon

and that's coming who has eaten perhaps 2 tacos in his life (burritos that's a whole other thing though i'm never sure which is which)

9. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I would take the tacos, and then throw the biggest party $12,500 in tacos could buy.

10. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Ah. Our essential question.

What is the going exchange rate between Taco Bell Bucks and the Dollar, and where can I go to turn my Taco Bell Bucks into dollars? And what if I want to use my Taco Bell Bucks as Microsoft Points?

11. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Tacos, most definitely. Taco Bell is one of my guilty pleasures.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think that they mean that the average American will die before eating more than 12.5k in Taco Bell food. :eek:

13. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

It's a nice gesture. And I do like Taco Bell, but not sure if I would want to eat that many tacos. Once in a while is fine, but that can't possibly the most healthiest thing for you. (oh but are they good! :p)

I wonder if somebody will do it?

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

This offer from Taco Bell is making me wish I did a pre-order for the PS3.

I would much rather give up a PS3 for $12K worth of tacos, that get $1,200 for the PS3 on eBay. Plus some kids that might never get to play with the PS3,get a chance at playing with one.

In fact, as I think about it - it might be worth it to pay the $1,200 cost on eBay for the PS3 and then use the $12K credit to feed the needy and homeless.

Need to make a call to the Taco Bell HQ in the morning and see if they will take my $600 to $1,200 and turn it in to $12K worth of food.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

This is crazy. Why does Taco Bell want to donate this to a non-charity. You're essentially giving away your PS3 so that some snotty kid can now play the newest video games. It doesn't even require a charitable person to do this because it's not even a charity.

I would probably take the tacos though if I had a PS3, and I don't even eat at Taco Bell. However, I'd learn to love it. :eek:

16. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I thought The Girl's and Boy's Clubs were for the underprivileged....

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Just so that you know, the Boys and Girls Club is a very legit "charity" here in the US.

The areas that serve the greatest need of the B&GC are not the snotty kid - but those that even simple basics of childhood have passed them by.

Because of your comments, I further up my ante to Taco Bell. I will pledge up to $1200US for a PS3 for a B&GC - as long as they offer the $12kUS in Taco Bell food towards the same children that are in need.

It is now time for us to put up or shut up. Put our money where our mouths are. I would hope that Taco Bell would ante up for each $1,200US contribution with $12kUS worth of food.

In the end Taco Bell has thrown down the gantlet. It is up to us to make their offer mean something.

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

From the "Who We Are" (the Mission Statement):

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Thanks for clearing that up. It wasn't clear that they were actually a charity, only that "The PS3 is on every teen's wish list."

And before I posted, I also Googled their site and read their Mission Statement. Their statement doesn't make it sound like they're necessarily helping out poor kids that don't even have the necessities of life. It just sounds like an afternoon program to give them something to do after school, like play games and learn things about morals, teamwork, etc.

Its not really clear that they help poor children with no access to this sort of thing, but I do hope it does go to someone who really can't afford it. :)

You make it sound like there aren't thousands of people out there who are trying to make this very same trade with Taco Bell. I'm sure TB is also giving away food. It doesn't cost them much (not even retail price, which I heard was already cheap), and they look good for giving food. The PS3 just makes them popular and newsworthy.

20. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I rarely eat at taco bell, but I would probably choose the 12,500 taco bell bucks (TBB? like GBP or USD?). I would then sell them for 50-75 cents a piece and make a whole lotta money (supposing the PS3 was purchased retail and not off of ebay. )

However if I could choose between 12,500 physical taco bell tacos and a PS3, I would go with the PS3. I just don't like taco bell that much.

21. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Never had a taco? Have you ever had nachos? or even Mexican food?

I'd take the tacos if it was any place but Taco Bell. They got like the worst grade meat evar. Puke-a-tronic.

22. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

It's too bad a restaurant with good food didn't offer something like this. Hello, Chipotle!

23. Cloud9 macrumors regular

How Can They Be So....

Seriously.

Hypothetical: You are a super poor kid. You probably dont get to eat 3 squares a day. When you have some cash it goes to mcdonalds or similar joint. 12k in tacos covers #1 of the 3 basic needs for probably about 4-41/2years if the kid never ate anything else. Ps3, requires further investment for games and provides zero calories. What makes more sense?

24. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

Doesn't matter. Mmmm, tacos...

Yeah, definitely tacos, PS3 is lame in comparison...

25. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated