A question about airport security...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Jan 4, 2007.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm going to fly to California tomorrow. And I have a question about airport security. With all the new ********tery from the TSA, I wonder if a bottle of cologne will be a problem at the security? I'd like to bring my cologne, but it's expensive, and I'd be uber-pissed if a security guy throws it away.

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Cant you check stuff like that? If you do I would suggest padding it somehow so it doesn't break, I doubt the airport workers are careful at al with luggage.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Liquids aren't a problem as long as you check them.

4. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

According to the TSA, you may carry-on up to 3 oz.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#1

Keep in mind...
    1. All liquids, gels and aerosols must be in three-ounce or smaller containers. Larger containers that are half-full or toothpaste tubes rolled up are not allowed. Each container must be three ounces or smaller.
    2. All liquids, gels and aerosols must be placed in a single, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag. Gallon size bags or bags that are not zip-top such as fold-over sandwich bags are not allowed. Each traveler can use only one, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag.
    3. Each traveler must remove their quart-sized plastic, zip-top bag from their carry-on and place it in a bin or on the conveyor belt for X-ray screening. X-raying separately will allow TSA security officers to more easily examine the declared items.

6. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Awesome, thanks a bunch!

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Can I bring an empty water bottle that is over 3oz?

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Empty? ...I don't see why not.

9. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

when i was flying during christmas, the cut-off was 3.4 oz bottle, 1 zip-loc bag full of those per person...

and if you have a larger container, it doesn't matter if it's half full or a quarter full, it's not allowed.

but completely empty water bottle IS allowed

10. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I travel pretty frequently. If you know the rules, it's a bit easier but so many do not and hold up the lines.

To avoid the higher costs of buying travel size toiletries, I bought a bunch of little travel bottles and fill them up from my regular size toiletries. They do pull you aside and do a few quick tests since the bottles are unmarked. Also allows me to travel back with little or no toiletries and move through security quicker.