A question about Dropbox?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by XMizer, Mar 13, 2013.

1. macrumors member

I want to clear some files to free up some space on my hard drive. Can I do this by uploading files to my dropbox folder and deleting the files on my hard drive?

OR

Are the files in my dropbox located on dropbox servers as well as my hard drive? Which means, I can't free up space simply by uploading files to dropbox?

2. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The second one. They are in both places, but synced, change or delete one and it changes the other.

3. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Unless you use Selective Sync. (Preferences -> Advanced -> Selective Sync) to keep some folders only in the cloud.

B

4. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I didn't even know about that option.

5. macrumors member

try to unlink your dropbox app on your computer. then manually upload files on the cloud thru a browser. then if you need to access files just login to your dropbox account. downside is you need to download everytime and upload if you make changes.

6. macrumors 68040

0dev

You can upload through a browser to use Dropbox as a backup for files you want to delete from your hard drive. That's what I always do anyway, the app just caused me headaches and the browser interface is actually very nice.