A question about my new iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Alfonzo, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Alfonzo macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2005
    i just bought a new ibook 1.42ghz. I do work both in english and in spanish. I've really tried to find a way for using special spanish characters using microsoft word, but i still haven't found a way. I mostly use ñ,á,é,í,ó,ú,. I will really apreciate if someone can help this recent switcher. :)
  2. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2005
    Brighton, UK
    Try one of the bottom keys (alt/ctl/fn) along with the letter, this could work :confused: don't know though, only a suggestion!? It's alt and a letter on the windoze version of Word. If not, instert-symbol?? Sorry don't have Mac|Office, but I seem to remember doing something like that in the test drive>

3. My Yute macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2005
    Option + e then type the letter you want for the accent. So for example option + e then hitting the letter e will give you "é". Option + n then n for the ñ. I'm sure a google search will give you more complete list. Oh and btw, this is something that's system wide and should work in any application.
  4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Sep 6, 2003
    there's a system level way to do this. if you haven't already set this in the preferences, go to the System Preferences in the Apple menu, and select "International". in the Input Menu section, choose spanish (and any other language you want to use) and make sure the Keyboard Viewer option near the top of the list is selected. at the very bottom, make sure the "show input menu in menu bar" box is checked.

now you should have a small flag showing in your menu bar at the top right. if you click once on this, one of the menu items will be "show keyboard viewer" - clicking on this will show you a small keyboard map of the language currently being used. there you can find what keys will result in the special characters you need.

for what it's worth, this is all documented in mac os x help. if you just do a search for "keyboard" the instructions for this very process are fourth in the list of results.

hope you enjoy your apple experience!

5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
    I do this all the time in Office for Mac.