Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptainRon19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Okay, here is my issue. First of all, how do I get my password hint to show up from the screensaver login/password prompt? I have my password and hint set up so that only people close to me will be able to figure it out in case they ever need to use my laptop, however at the moment the hint doesn't even show up.

Also, I'm aware that you can change the text to the login page for user accounts, but is there any way to change the text for the screensaver login prompt? If so, where would I find it in "Library"?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Laurencia7

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2009
try using a setup in keychain access for the password hint, as for the font, or change of text I would not know.

CaptainRon19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
I'm not sure what you mean by setting up a password hint in keychain. I've set up a hint already with the login, but it only appears at the main login page, not for the screensaver password prompt.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
Yeah, that is a pretty bad flaw. I guess they're assuming that if you've already logged in after booting up your computer (at the main login page) you already know the password so you won't need another hint after you stop the screensaver/sleep and have to type your password in again. I can't see any way to make the hint appear for the screensaver/sleep login window. I'm surprised it doesn't exist.

You could search Mroogle to see if there's been any older threads here on this topic. Someone could've posted a solution somewhere.

slpdLoad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
You can't make it display the hint from the screensaver prompt, but anyone who needs access via the hint can click on "Switch User..." and then get the hint from the normal login window. This will not log out of the active account.

amadaras

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
Budapest, PE, Hungary
Okay, here is my issue. First of all, how do I get my password hint to show up from the screensaver login/password prompt? I have my password and hint set up so that only people close to me will be able to figure it out in case they ever need to use my laptop, however at the moment the hint doesn't even show up.

Also, I'm aware that you can change the text to the login page for user accounts, but is there any way to change the text for the screensaver login prompt? If so, where would I find it in "Library"?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I think it's a bit late, but in Syspref/Security and privacy/general you can set a 'Lock screen message'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.