A Question about RAM

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mazmaximus, Mar 1, 2003.

1. mazmaximus macrumors newbie

I just bought 2 rather cheep 512MB P133 SO-DIMMS for my G4 Titanium. They were purchaced new from an online company. Everything went fine with the installation and the computer read the RAM but now everything seems to be screwed up. My applications will quit all of a sudden and the mac will crash bringing up a window telling me to restart the computer or hit the reset button. Some of my games will not even run at all. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON!??

Could it be this new RAM? Is there a real difference between high priced RAM and low priced models?

Thanks.
    mazmaximus

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: A Question about RAM

Sounds to me like you are running OS9. Am I correct? We need to know what Apps are crashing and bringing down the computer. If you say IE, I am just going to say whats new.

Please give us more details on where you bought the ram, the system you are running, which Ti Powerbook you have, what programs are crashing, etc..

Cheap and expensive RAM usually has more to do with where you get it and less to do with quality.

3. mazmaximus thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a 1GIG G4 Ti, only three months old. I bought the RAM from Coast to Coast Memory http://www.18004memory.com for $170 for the two 512 SO-DIMMS.

As far as the apps closing it seemed to be all of them. If I openned more than one it would crash the system. If I openned Jedi Knight II game it would never even finish loading just crash the system.

I yanked the RAM out today and everything seems to be fine again. I'm probably just going to return the RAM unless there's another solution.

Thanks for the help.

mazmaximus

4. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I had the exact same thing; not with a Powerbook, but with my Powermac. It was so amazing. Put the ram in-kernel panics all day along. Take it out, and it was like a whole new world. Return that ram get it replaced. Bad ram really screws up your system.

P.S. I've only heard good things from 18004. Don't be discouraged; every once in a while something slips thorugh.

Good Luck.