Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scizofrenic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2002
CA
Im thinking of maybe getting the new airport 2.0 but I was wondering if anyone knows if I am able to control the airport from my 266Mhz G3 desktop. Do I just need the card and airport? or do I need something else?

iH8Quark

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Big Shoulders
You know, hacking federal computer systems is an act of domestic terrorism.

But, hey. If you're willing to take the chance, I guess you could control the airport using just about any system. :eek:

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
do you want to airport 2 computers? if so, you need an airport card on both machines but you don't need another base station......

Scizofrenic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2002
CA
Well in an earlier post I mentioned that I was getting a new PC since my brothers wanted one and that I will be getting a new mac for myself, but for now the PC will come first and I know that you need a Mac to activate and set up the AirPort in order to be used. So im wondering if I need anything else aside from the base and the cards so I can activate it on my G3 until I get the new mac, since a lot of the new apple computers say that they are "AirPort ready".

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
You can set up the base station from your Mac even without an Airport card installed. You will need to install the admin utility onto the computer and physically connect it to the base station (use the LAN port on it). I've done it before, and it is NOT difficult to do. Read through the guide/manual that comes with the base station, since you will need the initial admin password to get into the base and set it up.

Get a network switch, plug the LAN port into the switch and you can have as many computers/printers on the network as you have open ports. I have a game pc here at home, as well as a network printer connected through the switch to the base station. I can go online from either the game pc, or my TiBook (800MHz with the airport card installed) and print to my Epson C80N (from either/both computers).

With the switch, you can also have LAN parties, both wired and wireless if you desire.

kansaigaijin

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
the great ether
config ABS from a PC

it is possible to config a ABS from a PC, you need to track down the software and hook it (the ABS) directly to the PC from its lan port, or through a switch like Alpha says (and not a f**king hub either)javascript:smilie(':D')

there are many questions and answers on the Apple tech support pages for ABS config and support issues, very helpful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.