A question for all new Imac Owners:

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by qfunk, Mar 3, 2002.

1. qfunk macrumors newbie

A question for all new iMac owners (flat panel):

Set your desktop pattern to a solid color and look at it.

Does it get gradually brighter from the top to the bottom?

I've read postings by others, and mine does it as well. It's a good 8-10% brighter on the bottom of the screen than the top.

I'm trying to find out if it's universal, or if there are bad apples in the run...

Thanks,
    qfunk

2. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Anyone who's bought a few laptops knows that not all screens turn out perfect. Take it back.

Don't settle for a bad screen. If the problem truly is rampant, then Apple will get the message that they need to pay closer attention to the quality control. We all win 'cause the product will get better.

The one advantage of buying from a retail store is that you can open the product in the store to make sure that the screen is consistant. I strongly reccomend that you do this.

3. Quark macrumors regular

qfunk, you are 100% correct

As I mentioned in my other post, it is common among all iMacs.

Most people cannot or do not see it, but it is there.

You and I apparently have a finer eye for detail. I was about to suggest what you suggested in this thread to help other see the problem.

I think the real problem is that you'll find the majority of the people won't see this as a "legitimate" problem when they actually see and understand the issue.

It is very subtle difference, but once you notice it, you're gonna see it every time.

I think it isn't necessarily a problem with the lighting of the screen as it is with the design of the anti-glare matte layer. I'm sure that in future revisions they might be able to work with the lighting to account for this issue... once they realize that it is an issue.

I don't think you'll get any different results if you return it and get another.

Take care,
    Quark

4. qfunk thread starter macrumors newbie

I won't. Here's what I found after a trip to the Apple Store just now:

All the flat panel iMacs do it. All the Ibooks do it. All the Titaniums do it. And the 15 inch stand alone flat panel display does it as well. The 17" and above do not do it, but they start at $999 (for the apple-brand version). So, to correct the situation, you have to get to about $2600 for a minimal tower/flat panel configuration.

Now that I know all the portables and the stand alone 15 do it, I'm feeling better about it. It's a clear economic factor: They don't justify putting enough bulbs for completely even coverage on the displays smaller than 17". It may ALSO be a factor of a bit of a change in the technology used for the bigger flat panel displays, but I don't know. Just makes sense...

Anyway, I'm hoping these posts will help others who come across this to understand what's going on. I was lost and there wasn't much help to find...

I'm going to post this in the other thread as well, so people following will know.

Thanks,
    Qfunk

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Here's what I posted in another thread:

I think it's more an issue of viewing angle than bad displays.

I checked my Tibook and I saw the effect of the brightness increasing as you go down the page, but only at certain angles. The viewing angle on the 15" and smaller displays is less than that of the 17" and 22" displays.
    Check the Apple pages here:
    http://www.apple.com/displays/

15" iMac and standalone- 120 degrees vert., 90 degrees horiz
    17" & 22" - 160 degrees vert/horiz

I couldn't find anything for the portables.

Do some research before claiming the displays are bad.