A question for all of you Brainiacs.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by triton, Aug 30, 2003.

1. triton macrumors regular

Hey Smart People,

Yeah, I consider you guys smart for buying a mac, I should have done it years ago.

Anyhow, I may have asked this question already BUT-

I understand the new g5 has 8 slots for RAM. I'm guessing 1gb for each ram stick. Is this correct?

Also, I want to buy the same Ram apple puts in their machines (or maybe something just as good). Only thing is, I want to buy it for cheaper. Can you help me out and tell me the exact type of ram I would need to buy for a new g5? Say should I want to upgrade in the future?

Thx guys/gals.

I can't wait to get out of the PC world for good.:cool:

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Most Computer Companies use Samsung Memory. I believe that Apple also uses it. And its PC400 DDR.

Have fun.

3. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

Re: A question for all of you Brainiacs.

The dual 2GHz and 1.8GHz models have 8 slots. The 1.6GHz has four slots. If you get the 1.8 or dual 2.0, then it will come with two of the slots filled, each with 256MB RAM. You can think of it as four pairs of slots, since they must be matched. For example, you couldn't fill seven slots with 1GB each and leave 256MB in the eighth, but you could fill six with 1GB each and leave 256MB in each of the remaining two. They must be in matched pairs.

As for where to get good cheap memory, I'll leave that question for the smart people.

4. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i recommend crucial.com or kingston.com for high-quality ram, at a decent [sub-apple ] price.

5. triton thread starter macrumors regular

So, technically, you could fill (as you said) 2 slots with 256 mb sticks, leaving you initially with approx 500 mbs of ram. And then fill the remaining 6 slots with 1 gig each, leaving you with a total of 6,500 mbs of ram?

Thus, you could use all of your slots up and never reach the 8gb potential?:confused:

What's the best way to go then if I am thinking of doing 8 gigs in the future? I could live with 1 gig right now, and upgrade in a few months or so. So when I go to the order page, I should just say I want 1 gig total? Will that leave me with 7 slots still open when I get my computer?

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

No, you could use 1gb in each slot-- as long as they're paired. whatever size stick you have, you need a multiple of two. So four pairs of 1 gig are fine...

pnw

7. void macrumors 6502

You need 1 GB sticks of PC-3200 DDR400 RAM. Any brand will be fine, as long as the CAS lantency is 2.5 or below. CAS may also be referred to as CLx (E.G. CAS latency 2.5=CL2.5) a good site to buy memory from is googlegear.com or newegg.com. You can also use pricewatch.com