A question for Australians...

Discussion in 'Community' started by dnte42, Aug 22, 2002.

1. dnte42 macrumors regular

...or anyone else in the know. In January I'm going to fly down to Australia with a school group to bike from Melbourne to Sydney. I would like to know: First, how is the temperature and the general climate around that time of year? And, second, how are the biking conditions along the southern coast (pretty good, I've heard, but only secondhand). Thanks.

2. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I also have a question for the Austrailians.
    What exactly are the main ingridients in Vegimite? Their website seemed to skip around the subject.

3. jipper macrumors newbie

in answer to those questions

Being from Melbourne I can tell you that the weather in January is awesome... nice and hot. And when I say hot, I mean hot, January is regularly the hottest part of the summer. So I'd bring some shirts, sunscreen and hats, and don't forget to slip slop slap. In answer to the second question... what is in vegemite. I thought I would consult the vegemite jar sitting opposite me. And i quote: "INGREDIENTS: Yeast Extract, Salt, Mineral Salt (508), Malt Extract, Natural Colour (150), Vegetable Extract, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin, Folate". Hope that helps.
    Enjoy our beautiful brown country,
    and, of course, go Melbourne for the 2003 AFL Premiership!!!

Cheers,
    Tim.

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I may be wrong, but I believe its the same as the british marmite, which is yeast extract. Full of B vitamins and tastes really good so long as you don't slather it on.

5. dnte42 thread starter macrumors regular

Re: in answer to those questions

Ah, that would be fun. Sadly, I think the only free time we'll have is two days in Sydney. With any luck, we'll be able to run amok :p (er, bad rhyme not intended). I hope I'll be able to get some kind of setup along for my digital camera...someone had better have a laptop!

6. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

riding from sydney to melbourne wow, thats a fair trip and the weather is nice all round, but in melbourne the wather sucks, in sydney is nice all round, so its a great place to visit and what team do you ride for ? if youi do ride for one and is this a race or a leisurely thing

7. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I may have to try some. Is there any way to describe it's taste or is it one of those things that there is no way to describe?

8. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

no you can't describe it you just need to taste it

9. sneed macrumors regular

By my reckoning, it ought to be called crapomite. Then again, I know a few people who swear by it.

Must be a cultural thing.

10. saint macrumors regular

Re: in answer to those questions

No, if you are going to be in Melbourne, take a raincoat. Save the sunscreen for Sydney. :p ;)

And AFL sucks. Fortunately it will be the off- season when you come, so you can enjoy watching the cricket. :p

11. losfp macrumors regular

January is our summer, so hot as hell. Also a hell of a journey!!

Don't count on the Demons for the 2003 flag - The Swans will bounce back and win over all (with Wayne on board :D)

12. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Me living in england before australia (and Jpan before England), I can say that vegemite and marmite are virtually the same..and so is promite...however, promite is a bit sweeter, and vegemite is saltier than the other two...IE. marmite is about in between them..

13. appleguy macrumors 6502

appleguy

Sydney Sux

Well Last time I was in Sydney it rained the whole time (I was there during the storms at the end of November) But I was luckly enough to go to the Apple building there and go on a tour. :D

The weather was much nicer up in Noosa and Then Back down at the Gold Coast and the "Talent" was not too bad for Schoolies Week.

14. dnte42 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, technically this is for a "nutrition" class, but in all reality, it is a way for us to spend our short January semester doing as little real work as possible.

15. saint macrumors regular

They do tours of the apple place?? what was it like?

16. Lz0 macrumors regular

I hope you don't mean push bike ... It's a very long way.

17. dnte42 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I have a Raleigh International and everyone in the class has been told to get road bikes for the trip. It will be tough riding what I have, but if anyone brings a mountain bike they are gonna die. I'll laugh. :p

18. Lz0 macrumors regular

OK there are two main ways to get from Melb to Syd.

1. The Hume Hwy - goes up the middle, takes 9.5 to 10 hrs by car and is mainly flat and straight (it's a main hwy).

2. Along the coast (the route I think you guys are taking), it's mostly an older road, very hilly and windy in places and takes about 12 or more hrs by car.

19. Lz0 macrumors regular

20. dnte42 thread starter macrumors regular

The second one sounds about right to me. Hilly, eh? Hrm. I had hoped to get away from that. Climbing is not one of my favorite things to do on a bike.

21. Atomic macrumors newbie

hey dnte ... you have some stunning pictures on your mac homepage...Thanks!

22. appleguy macrumors 6502

appleguy

No they don't do tours, I work for Renaissance here in New Zealand, and we distribute Apple Products here (Apple Computer as a company is not in New Zealand we represent them sort of here, we do all the advertising and sell to the channel). When I was training to service Macs I got on well with the trainer and he invited in for a tour next time I was in Sydney.

PS OSX 10.2 is Great

23. MidnightRambler macrumors newbie

dnte42 - no worries, dude. You'll like Oz just fine.

Aussie women are among the loosest I've even encountered, and, due to the somewhat wanting nature of the home grown crop, ...they just love it when American men visit. ;)

Seriously, ...foreign guys have a real advantage with the babes in Oz. The primary reason being that the local dudes tend to like to sit around with each other and fold their genitals into 'shapes'.

It's no accident that the same country/continent gave the world Puppetry of the Peni5 and Priscilla Queen of the Desert.

;) (damn that auto-censor)

24. dnte42 thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, the friendly, helpful people of MacRumors. Ask a question about biking, terrain, and temperature, and get information on Australian genital fetishes...:p