A question for the Audio Nerds

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by XMashedPotatoX, Apr 28, 2004.

1. XMashedPotatoX macrumors newbie

Ok boys and girls,

So I have decided pretty much I am getting a 12" new PBook as my laptop computer.

I currently run my studio off an XP box. I use Cubase SX. The computer is a P4 1.6Ghz with around 600-700 megs of RAM on it. I use a MOTU 828 with a PreSonus DIGIMAX LT running off the ADAT. I am using the setup PURELY for wav audio. Each track has 1-3 DirectX inserts and I usually EQ about half of them. I also average around 12 tracks per project. Though I have been known to get up around 20 tracks in some extreme cases.

My intention wasn't to start using the PowerBook for the audio applications. Though I have to ask you guys, will the little machine be able to handle the work? I am thinking of getting the new version of Cubase soon. Since I will have a Mac real soon, I must decide between the two versions.

I know most of you are crazy anti-PC and will tell me to get a dual G4 or something, but that I cannot do. I wish to simply know if the PBook will be able to live up to the job (just a dream of mine to make the studio portable if need be ;).

Regards,
    Jason

2. kanker macrumors 6502

I doubt there should be any problem unless you're using plugs that are major processor hogs. I have a 1ghz 12"PB, and I'll frequently run Logic with 4-6 softsynths (hogs), EQ's, compressors, verb, etc..., and have Reason running a few things with effects with no problem. Since you're doing nothing but audio, your processor overhead should be a heck of a lot lower with 12-20 tracks running since the bulk of it will be streaming off the drive.