A question for the Audio Nerds

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by XMashedPotatoX, Apr 28, 2004.

1. XMashedPotatoX macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2004
    Ok boys and girls,

So I have decided pretty much I am getting a 12" new PBook as my laptop computer.

I currently run my studio off an XP box. I use Cubase SX. The computer is a P4 1.6Ghz with around 600-700 megs of RAM on it. I use a MOTU 828 with a PreSonus DIGIMAX LT running off the ADAT. I am using the setup PURELY for wav audio. Each track has 1-3 DirectX inserts and I usually EQ about half of them. I also average around 12 tracks per project. Though I have been known to get up around 20 tracks in some extreme cases.

My intention wasn't to start using the PowerBook for the audio applications. Though I have to ask you guys, will the little machine be able to handle the work? I am thinking of getting the new version of Cubase soon. Since I will have a Mac real soon, I must decide between the two versions.

I know most of you are crazy anti-PC and will tell me to get a dual G4 or something, but that I cannot do. I wish to simply know if the PBook will be able to live up to the job (just a dream of mine to make the studio portable if need be ;).

2. kanker macrumors 6502

Nov 13, 2003
    I doubt there should be any problem unless you're using plugs that are major processor hogs. I have a 1ghz 12"PB, and I'll frequently run Logic with 4-6 softsynths (hogs), EQ's, compressors, verb, etc..., and have Reason running a few things with effects with no problem. Since you're doing nothing but audio, your processor overhead should be a heck of a lot lower with 12-20 tracks running since the bulk of it will be streaming off the drive.