A question of phones.. (RAZR vs. K700i)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dav, Aug 1, 2005.

1. dav macrumors 6502

Hello! I have been trying to do my research on each of these phones, but I have a few outstanding questions about the RAZR. (Note: Currently I have and love my T610, and I have used a K700i for periods of time.. If the RAZR doesn't measure up then it is definitely this one)

1) Text Messaging. I do it a lot (i.e. it is very, very important to me). I am, obviously, used to T9, but will the iTap on the RAZR be sufficient, or is it just plain awkward? I know that it is perfect on the K700. I can learn the different formats pretty quickly. Also, is there many keypresses to respond, etc? (On my T610, it is a two-button situation and then I am off typing.. I just don't want 7 keypresses to compose a message) Can it keep up with me? (T610: I am always five or more words ahead than the phone can process, which isn't really a problem because I know what I am typing)

2) Does the bluetooth work comfortably with my iBook? (All I want to do is transfer ringers, pictures, and sync contacts.. I will keep my T610 for salling clicker and such)

3) Battery Life. My friend has a K700 and the phone lasts for about 5 hours with the latest firmware. Is this just her phone? Is the battery life on a K700 generally good? I only need two days standby on either phone. I expect both should be able to do this.

4) I understand that the RAZR can use MP3 ringtones.. Can I assign these on a contact-to-contact basis, much like the SE phones?

5) Any general complaints about the RAZR?

I had my heart set on the K700i, but I recently saw a RAZR for $140 at the store.. If it does everything I need then I will go for it and keep my T610 as a now-and-then phone.

Thank you!

-dav

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    k700 works fine with your iBook and bluetooth. It's even got a built-in remote control so you don't need the full version of sailing clicker.

Are you sure it's got the latest firmware? My k700 lasts closer to 5 days but I only activate bluetooth when I need to use it and I don't listen to music/radio on it. Those things really pull down battery life.

Incidentally, I'd make sure you get a good price on both of them since they're both 12 months old design-wise which is forever in phone terms and have been replaced or are about to be by newer models.

3. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Definitely consider what you're buying here. The K700 has been superseded by the K750i which is an excellent phone with all round improved capabilities and should be available on the same, or only marginally more expensive contract. The RAZR is due a new model in September called the V1150 in Europe and V3x in the States.

I'd also say that texting on a V3 is pretty frustrating if you're comfortable with both the Sony Ericsson interface and decent buttons to press. The V3 has neither.

It's a fundamental change switching from SE to Motorola and it's not an experience I would recommend, even though the V3 does look awesome.

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

One of my friends has the V3 silver and another the black. I have a Sony Ericsson V600i (similar to K600). The SE interface is so much nicer. The Motorola looks tacky and just awful in comparison. The VGA camera on the Motorola is weak. The Motorola can set tones on a per person basis (which can be mp3) but have fun doing that with the 5 megabyte capacity.

5. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

That's the kicker for making it so Razr thin!

6. dav thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies!

@Applespider: Sadly, the phone does have the latest firmware and two different batteries to test. I am sure something is terribly wrong with just this phone and not the whole line of K700s.

@AlB: I did seriously consider the K750 about a month ago.. Then I realized that, while I am a feature freak and use everything to the fullest, I don't need a great camera or expandable memory. So I can't justify the extra 100-200 USD that it would cost me. The K700i fixes everything I had problems with on the T610 (Keeps up with my texting, MP3 rings, better screen, etc.)

@Wes: Ah yes.. I would rather take the V/K600 over both of them because it is so beautiful! Anyway, I know I would definitely miss the SE interface. Maybe I should pick up one of yours instead (if I could find it for a reasonable price..)

edit: Alright.. I have decided that I love the SE interface and design so much, I can't step away from it. Two more questions: (sorry)

Can the K600 do everything the K700 can, and more? I don't need 3g, but I am fascinated with the design..

Is there anywhere I can fetch a decent price for the K600?

7. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Is the V/K600 not more pricey than the K750? It's also almost identical to the V800i I believe. Both are good phones but they look a little bit 'clunky' somehow. Agreed, my T610 was probably the best mobile I've had so far. It was a real shame when the mic and earpiece went on it.

You thought about buying a T630i for practically peanuts? It's got superb looks with the trusted interface and parts, T610 length battery life, not excessive gadgets and it's dirt cheap! Truly great phone for the money that one.

8. dav thread starter macrumors 6502

T630 just has different looks and an improved screen, correct? If it could keep up with my SMSing then surely I would.. Though I like the look of the T610 better anyway, so I don't see it as much an upgrade

9. dr0wnoutthen0is macrumors newbie

Just a heads up .. on OS X 10.4.2 browsing the Razr V3 using the Bluetooth File Exchange program no longer works. It worked before with Tiger, so I think the 10.4.2 update broke it. I can connect to the phone but when I try to open the the folders, it doesn't show the contents. So I can't drag and drop new files to the phone. Quite frustrating actually. Looking around on some forums, it is affecting other users (including other Motorola phones with Bluetooth).

Hopefully they will fix it with 10.4.3 or earlier .. or if anyone else has a solution, please tell me :)

10. paperinacup macrumors 6502

Do what I am doing. I have a T637 right now and I'm gonna wait until the K750 drops below $300. Trust me it will. I remember when Moto V600's, V80s, V3s where going for $600+. Now you can pick one up for under $220.

11. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Correct, an updated screen and – IMO, of course – better looks, especially in black.

Your needs become clearer with the above comment though. @Cup is right, the price of the K750 will plummet as every mobile does after release, but if you're looking for a 'faster' phone that will keep up with your texting then even the K750 may not be right. It still has that annoying lag on it that other Sony Ericssons I've used seem to suffer from. Not sure if it's the same on the K700 though as I've not used one prolifically.

Interface-wise, the fastest are Nokia models, but they haven't released a phone that has looks and ability for about say 5 years. What I mean by this is, they do phones with all the features, battery life and so on and then make it look like sh*t (see here: (6630/80, 6600 or even the N-Gage). Or, conversely, they do a good looking phone but put stuff all on it like the new 8800.

Anyway, if the K700i you've used previously can keep up with your texting, that ultimately is the phone I would go for under that criteria. Fast, good form and works well cos it's an SE.

If you like a certain Nokia and you're not that worried about loads of features, look at some Nokias.

12. dav thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you all for the input...

Yes, the K700i kept up just fine (felt like a dream compared to my T610). If the K750 price plummets in the near future I will probably get one of those, but the K700i is dropping to a much more comfortable price as well. RAZR is out of the picture now :rolleyes: