A Question of RAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by XtraSmiley, Sep 16, 2006.

1. XtraSmiley macrumors regular

Sep 16, 2006
    Hi all, this is my first post but I've been following the forum for weeks waiting for Merom for the MB. Since today was the end of the free iPod deal, I just went ahead and pulled the trigger. Here is my question. I want to go with 2gb of RAM and this is what I've found at Newegg:

My question is, why is the package that comes with two more than double the price of buying these separate. Is there something that makes the double pack faster or better?

Also, does this RAM work with the MB and what is the brand that is the recommended one by Apple?

Thanks for all the help guys.

PS I'm also a first time Mac user, so I will probably be back on here for questions when I get the MB itself!
  2. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    Hi and welcome!

Check out the prices at Datamem.com and OWC (macsales.com)

Both carry Apple guaranteed DIMMS with lifetime guarantee.
    OWC generic RAM
    2.0GB Matched Pair (1024MB(1GB) x 2) PC5300 DDR2 667MHz 200 Pin SO-DIMM Modules for Apple MacBook/ MacBook Pro, iMac Intel, and Mac Mini Intel. New w/Lifetime Warranty. (OWC53DR2SPAIR2G)$271.00

Samsung Factory Original RAM
    1.0GB (1024MB) Samsung PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz SO-DIMM 200 Pin Memory Module for MacBook Pro 15"; MacBook Pro 17"; MacBook; iMac Intel; Mac mini Intel Systems. Samsung Factory Original module w/Lifetime Warranty. (OWC53SDR2SAM1GB) $169.99 each.

DMS Datamem.com

DM50 189 X 2 2GB Kit (2 x 1GB) 200 Pin DDR2-667 PC2-5300 128x64 CL5 1.8V SODIMM (Lifetime Warranty) $270.00

Crucial Technology 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Notebook Memory - Retail $129.99 each

Those are your best choices for quality, compatibility and reliability.
  3. jessep28 macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2006
    Omaha, NE

1) There could be several factors that make the 2GB stick more expensive than 2 1GB sticks. It could be more expensive to produce. Also, the 1GB sticks would probably be demanded more, so then economies of scale kick in leading to an overall reduction in price.

2) Apple wants you to buy their RAM which is way more expensive than market usually. As long as you get the correct RAM for your system and it's of high quality, it should be fine. However, be sure to save the APPLE memory taken out if you have to send the MB in for warranty work.

From glancing at the specifications in the new egg site compared to Crucial's, that is the correct memory.

Good luck!

PS) I am in the same boat as you with transitioning from Windows over to Macworld. I am going to get an iMac here in the next day or so.
  4. XtraSmiley thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 16, 2006
    Thanks for the reply guys. I think I'm going to go with the Corsair as they make (or just sell maybe) the best RAM money can buy (IMO).

Of course they also have a lifetime warranty in case anyone else was wondering!

Good luck on your Mac purchase. I can't wait until I get mine!