a question to all .mac users..

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by toughboy, Jan 17, 2004.

1. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

I have a problem with my .mac account which I cant find where/how to solve..

when I receive an email, and I open it with my PB/Mail, once it becomes read, I cannot reach that mail from another computer.. this is true visaversa too.. which means once I open the mail with my outlook express on my PC, I cannot find that mail anymore in the inbox.. its gone, erased maybe, I dont know!

I opened my preferences on .mac account but I couldnt find a solution..

anyone having an idea???

2. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

In both outlook and mail.app there is a setting to "leave a copy on server" and another to only delete the email when deleted from the inbox.

You'll probably want both of those checked off.

EDIT: the setting is in the advanced tab of the account edit window.

3. toughboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

toughboy

thank you very much for the reply...

I have that option unchecked.. I was looking for the solution on the wrong place.. thanx..

4. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

This is a little off topic but I'll ask anyway. What's the minimum system requirements for Mail on a PC? I can't even get onto the .Mac site from my PC (Win98) at work. I can access everything from my XP machine at home but that's unnecessary as my Mac is at home, too.

Squire

5. zapp macrumors regular

zapp

Might have part of an answer

I know that .mac can use IMAP or POP3 access. If you set all the computers up for POP access, it pulls the mail to your computer. It can erase the mail on the server, sometimes that is the default. So when you download on one computer, then try on another it won't be there.

Solution, look around the account preferences on all the apps you use for mail, and look for delete mail on server checkbox. Make sure that you do not delete mail on server.

Hope it helped

6. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

try going to http://webmail.mac.com you should be able to access that from any web browser on any machine. Unless your IT dept. is blocking websites.

Or you could set up a pop email account on you PC's mail client.

7. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Are you referring to the Mail application for OS X? It doesn't run on Windows at all.

8. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Thanks a lot. I'll try that at work tomorrow. Strangely enough, I couldn't even log into my .Mac account at work. I thought that was the only way to check mail. Guess not.

Squire