A quick installation question

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Gus, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Hello all! I have just sold my PowerMac 733, and I am reinstalling a clean system for the buyer. My question is this:

How do I give the buyer a clean system and check it without having to go through the set-up assistant, and how do I re-set the set-up assistant to come up when he turns it on?

Thanks!!

Gus

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

like so:

insert the restore CD and reformat the drive, writing zeros.

Re-install the OS.

Shut down rather than restarting and eject the CD via the paper-clip method. Ta-da.:D ;)

3. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Ok let me give this a try...

I know that in order to bypass the setup assitant you can boot into single user mode(command +s at startup) and then type

touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

(i found the above on macosxhints)
    this creates the file that the mac searches for to see if setup assistant has been run.

So what i would do is this. Wipe drive out, install fresh copy of the os then shutdown. Then startup in single user mode use the code above. Then restart and check to make sure everything is ok then shutdown. Then startup in single user mode again. Now Remove the file that you created to bypass the apple setup.

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

that should do it.
    Then shutdown.

Now the next time the computer is booted the setup assistant should come on. Let me know how it goes...

Don't forget to eject your CD...:D

4. Gus thread starter macrumors 65816

Gus

Thanks!

thanks guys! I apprreciate the advice!!!

Gus

5. Gus thread starter macrumors 65816

Gus

Hmmm..

Well, it tells me that this is a read-only file system.Guess it's becaue the OS Assistant creates the root (super)user. So it won't let me create the AppleSetupDone file. Any other ideas?

Gus