a quick superduper backup question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lardin, Mar 23, 2007.

1. lardin macrumors newbie

is it possible to backup the system/preference(including the applications I installed such as messenger, office, etc) and data(photos,music, doc files) separately? I am hoping to backup the system once a few month, do incremental backup on the data every week or 2weeks. Which directory should I backup if I only want to backup the system/preference?

Thank you.

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

A backup of your entire home folder should be enough to capture most things you install. Anything you install with the "Install for All Users" option, however, will be stored elsewhere. Where it would be stored, however, would depend on the application you were installing.

I backup almost my entire Home folder once a week, and that should cover just about everything.

3. lardin thread starter macrumors newbie

But if i backup the entire home folder, am i also backing up my data(photo/music/etc) every time? It doesnt make sense to back them up every week, is it? thank you for the quick response.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

SuperDuper's Smart Update feature only copies what's changed, so you're assured of having a recent backup that can easily be restored in the least time practical. I use this feature all the time ever since registering SuperDuper, and it's saved my files more than once. :D

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Yes, you'd be backing them up every week. However, like TPAM said, if you pick up software that does "Incremental" or "Smart" backups, they'll only pick up the files that have changed since the last backup and you won't be spending hours each week waiting for your backup app to finish.

I use a program called SmartBackup from FreeRideCoding (although his server appears to be down ATM) and it works great. $20 for a license and the peace-of-mind alone is worth the price.

Here's a link to the VT page: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26249

6. lardin thread starter macrumors newbie