A quick thought on iTunes 5.0

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JD92, Aug 4, 2005.

1. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

It came to me today. If there really is going to be a video iPod then there'll probably be a new iTunes, but mathematically 4.10 = 4.1 . So, I was thinking the new iTunes will have to work with the video iPod and will therefore probably have the capability of playing video files. But the thing is, that would basically turn it into Quicktime :confused: . So what I'm thinking is that maybe the iTunes and Quicktime lines will be merged into maybe iMedia or something similair.

2. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

I was griping about this some time back (not on this forum). iTunes needs to be able to play back movies (already does, to some extent) and conceivably serve as a library for images (no, I don't use iPhoto to store my forum avatars).

But then it isn't really iTunes anymore. Hmmph. Apple was not really on the ball with this one. Every idea seems to sound lame to me... iMovie? Taken. iTunes? Inapplicable. iMedia? I don't like it.

Perhaps this might become part of the iHome thing, if Apple moves into the media center market hardcore. Which I'd like.

3. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    All I know is for how minor all of the updates to iTunes have been 5.0 better have a feature that includes something pretty sweet, like brain scanning that changes the playlist based on my mood or something.

4. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

that's actually pretty close to the real thing already.. i swear.. my ipod will play a fast song, then two slow, a fast song then two slow.. its crazy

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

We been over this more than once. Version numbering is NOT "mathematically". Why, e.g. is the newest Mozilla numbered 1.7.11? :rolleyes:

Version numbering is major.minor.patch, and Microsoft even has a 4th level for build number, which Apple, luckily has not included. So, if there's another MINOR release of iTunes, this will be numbered with the next number after 9, which is...? anybody...? Riiiight... it's 10...

Edit: Just for the record, it's the third number of the MS version number that is build number while the forth is a weird and complex number which includes service pack and other stuff, in a way I never really cared to dwell on... ;)

And, there also has been lots of iTunes 5 threads. Search a little, please...

6. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Off topic, but I've considered Microsoft's version numbering scheme to be a subtle way of demonstrating that they don't give a sh*t about their users being able to understand their products (such as "uh, I'm using version 6 point 0 point something pi-R-squared so eight of the 37 latest patches may or may not apply to me").

Back to iTunes... it already plays music videos, right? So it's not inconceivable that they'll beef up video support and continue to call it iTunes. If they get really serious about video (buying/renting, TV playback, whatever), though, I'd expect it to be handled by a new iApp.

7. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Guess you've never used VueScan. Version 8.2.29 is out now I think.

If P then Q (but not R!) arguments are wonderful. Do the 'all elephants are pink' one again.

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

iTunes already have the capability of playing videos. Try one of the music videos from iTMS...

Man, I didn't even notice this in all the "there cannot be any 4.10"-cr@p... :rolleyes:

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Of all the conspiracy theories that abound on MR, my absolute favorite is the idea that, because the latest version number supposedly necessitates a jump to the next dot or base digit, that Apple will be forced to add major new features to their product in order to save face. :rolleyes:

It's really so insane on so many levels that it doesn't seem worth fighting it anymore. :D

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Why not just call it iTunes 4.95? Mathematically, that falls in between 4.9 and 5.0... :D

11. JD92 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JD92

OK then, maybe there will be iTunes 4.10, but eventually there will be iTunes 5.0, and sorry I didnt know it already had video playback :eek: