A Quickie Adium Poll

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by neoelectronaut, Nov 1, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana
    I downloaded Adium 0.7 when it was released a few weeks back, and it's been sitting on my HD since then, never being used.

Well I just booted the sucker up out of boredom to see what I could find....

Wow, it's a nice program. Tons of customization options....but in a way, that's a problem. I almost feel as if I have too much to keep track of--too many things to choose from.

Anywho, just as a quick poll, what styles do you use? Sounds? Message Style? Contact List Style? Etc...

Screenshots are welcome if you're willing to take the plunge.

I'm just trying to see where to start from here...
  2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    I got bored one day and put on a complete grey theme to my computer. The trial ran out for the shades program I used, but I havn't changed Adium yet. So, a grey theme. Everything else on it is stock.

3. garybUK Guest

Jun 3, 2002
    Its rubbish, you can't even block those annoying people on your list. The new 0.7 version is good because it tells you when the other person has closed the conversation window, however this doesn't work 100% if the remote user minimises the window it tells you they have closed it.

Pictures on the contact list are nice, still major functionality missing. I guess this is why its still 0.x and not 1.x
  4. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    the beauty of adium is the customizability. if you don't like how it looks you can change it to virtually everything.. if you don't care how it looks then i guess its not a problem to begin with.

some functionality is missing but the devs are some of the nicest around and they are constantly working and making a better adium.

i use a custom contact list with little bubbles for the contacts and in green blue grey colors depending on there status. no pictures, my list is very minimal, i like minimal.

my message window is basically smooth operator modified. the background is grey instead of blue and the windows are closer together.

i am bad a programming, really bad but i learned out to use css to make those changes and you can find tutorials and helpful people in the adium forums to help you
  5. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Mar 11, 2004
    I find it humerous that you think Adium is missing major functionality when IChat doesn't do HALF of the things Adium does, other protocol support not withstanding. Adium is light years ahead of iChat in just about every way. It improves by leaps and bounds with every version.

With regard to the styles I use:
    List Layout - Bubbles (Small)
    Color Theme - Status Coloring - 2 tone
    Message Style - Smooth Operator
  6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    for the contact style i use Eurostyle colored in Morpheus in white, gives a nice translucent look to it and its small and out of the way

for messages i either use Fiat(Slim) or Smooth Operator, i wish i could find one like ichat all the way though, bubbles and icons and all, but oh well

and for my dock i have Yoda Adium because he's cute LOL but i do change the dock guy every now and then

its a fun program, i just wish the file transfers were better and it had A/V capabilities, i have to fire up iChat for those two
  7. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    I use the bubble style and make the background completely transparent. As per the color of the text for buddy names, I change it according to my dektop background so that it can be visible.
    And my away message shows the current song being played in iTunes.

8. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2004
    Can you say Chi-City??
    Has anyone else found this latest version of Adium very unstable/glitchy? I think I was last using .61 which seemed (to me) nearly flawless. In a way, I would rather lose the customizing options for the more stable release...
  9. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    btw i still use the adium 1.6 dock icon, i just have always like it the best
  10. Windowlicker macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    0.7 didn't work on my setup for some reason. now 0.71 is out and it's working just as it's supposed to. I'm using Plain Mockie (small) on my contact list.. What I really miss is the transparency in 0.63 :(

With the transparency the app looked much more like an addon rather than an application and that's what I want from an application that basically just shows me messages and allows me to answer to them. So let's get that translucency thing back there ok??!

edit. hehe I just realized all this stuff is there. I just couldn't find it at first.
  11. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana
    I wish I could tell the thing to stop playing sounds when people sign on.

Sounds are fine for two things: Messages sent and messages recieved.

I don't want a sound every time someone signs on or off...

I dunno, I think I'm gonna switch to iChat. Adium is just too complicated for me.
  12. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    you can switch the sound, go into preferences and explore the sound tab

i deleted all the sounds except for one, i have it make sound when i recieve the first message, that way it warns me if someone messaged me but it doesn't keep beeping and beeping whenever i or they send a message.

the more advanced features of adium are indeed complicated, but taking it one step at a time you can fully learn the great potential of this program.
  13. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana
    I'm not one to give up easily--so I'm giving it another go.

I'm just gonna use the iChat sound scheme. It's nice and non-intrusive.

(I was previously using a Super Mario World Sound Scheme...which got a little grating after a while.)
  14. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2003
    i have adium .7. i love it, its soo much more useful than .63.

semi-transparent, borderless contact list with a custom iTunes-style theme where its light-blue and white for alternating lines

i use addressbook pictures of my friends if they don't have icons.

my message style is "mockie, brown, icon left"

no soundset enabled.