A quote to think upon...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chip NoVaMac, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

"The people can always be brought to the bidding of their leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

No cheating, you might be surprised!

Answer: Just highlight to find the answer:

Hermann Goering attributed to the Nuremburg Trials

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

3. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to it and get it right. Hit the return to early. :D

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Yeah, that one's a good one, and it's been kicked around here quite a few times before.

5. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I saw it recently and thought that when I read the first part that it was some spin master from the RNC. I was shocked to see that it was the "enemy" that we fought in the 40's.

What scared me and worried me at the same point, is that the above quote could be an RNC talking point today.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

a section of his interview was part of my signature for a while.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Which is exactly why I am now rabidly anti-Bush administration. Anyone who tells people that they are unpatriotic because they question their government, needs a history lesson. That is exactly what Jefferson and Franklin fought to stop as a protection against tyranny. These are blatant Nazi tactics and I'm surprised so many American have either fallen for it or have become so unconcered with such an important thing.

Wonder how they'll feel if we have a Democrat in office doing a pretty good job? Oh, that's right... they criticize them. :rolleyes:

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Heh. Ordinarily, bringing the Nazi card into a discussion is considered a cheap shot and indicative that you don't really have a good argument...but it does seem to apply here, doesn't it?

I hate to say it, but I think there's a Nazi theme that runs through a lot of conservative thought nowadays. Hitler's propaganda minister, Joseph Goebbels, was the one who popularized the idea that if you tell a big enough lie, and you repeat it over and over, people will eventually believe it no matter how outrageous it is. Karl Rove and the whole right wing media brigade seem to have that covered pretty well.

Then there's the Patriot Act. Hoo boy. If it doesn't already remind you of the SS (or the KGB, if you prefer), then it will by the time we get around to Patriot Act II. The idea of simply making people "disappear" ought to give everyone the creeps.

I'm not saying all conservatives are Nazis, but there are "George Will conservatives" and "George Bush conservatives". "George Will conservatives" I can respect as people who have a philosophical difference with me; "George Bush conservatives" simply scare the pants off me.

9. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Well, the difference here is that no one is calling Bush or the Bush admin a Nazi, but just pointing out that the administration is using a similar marketing strategy to the Nazis to effect a goal that is somewhat different, if more in degree than symbolism (though I'm by no means saying it's all degree). Of course, the method is problematic, not just the result, so the comparison here is devastatingly powerful in its accuracy and legitimacy (in opposition to the more illegitimate attacks saying that the Bush administration's action is tantamount to Nazi activity).

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

:) If you delve a bit deeper into Nazism, you note that you can own property or a business, but the government tells you how you can use or manage it--which is more of a politically liberal view. "Land use management" is not something originating in the Republican party.

A call for unification against an outside enemy is probably as old as tribalism...I imagine it worked as well for Og the Caveman as it ever has in recent times. It works for the Sierra Club, the NRA, you name it...

But equating disagreement with treason really sucks.

'Rat

11. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

There was not intention of making a parallel argument of the Nazi's against the Bush administration. The point I think is that much of the war of words do have parallels with the Nazi's. Create a climate of fear, and then create an of hope behind that fear.

The concern I have for any party today is that we are working longer, and fear for our children have robbed many people of the time to make informed decisions on their government. They want to to be told in a sound bite as to what to believe. Or to listen to some pundit that could get elected in a town of three people, one being the candidate and his mother.

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

But you left out the part where the government/economy is controlled by big industry. Sound familiar?

There's a reason Mussolini said fascism should be called "corporatism."